Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string Steinberger L2 on eBay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Nov 21, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im a fan of Steinbergers. Ive never played a 5 string model, so i cant help there, but Steinbergers overall are sick.

I hope EVENTUALLY to own an original Steinberger (eventually meaning in like 10 years, heh).

EDIT: This is the model i like best. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3763276962&rd=1 It is decently affordable too, this one isnt in great condition, but even a good conditon one can be had for under $1000.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think you'll see that one go up pretty high in price, dude. Seems like shortly after I copped both of my Steinbergers super cheap they've sky rocketed. Conspiracy?

The 5 strings are typically pretty tight on the spacing, since they put the 5 string bridge and headpiece on the four string neck. They made a very limited amount of wide fives (only 100, I think). They are fairly bright, balanced basses overall, and some complain about the paddle bodies feeling a bit strange at first.

My guess is that will sell for around $2000. Really.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The starting price is $2300 ish so how can it sell for $2000 :eyebrow:

5. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    That is sweet! I don't think I'll be able to afford $2000+ for a bass so I'll have to settle for a Steinberger Spirit 5! :bassist:

6. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I am no 'berger expert by any means, but did they even make an L2/5? I wonder if someone didn't take a 5 bridge and "nut" and put it on an L2. I know the regular 5s are pretty tight, the wides were good. There was an older 'berger on ebay not too long ago that went for $2200ish. My old one will probably end up there one of these days.

Lee

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Oops. I guess I should have paid more attention. I'm dumb.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    blasphemy! you sah no dumb.

9. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Are the Gibson Steinbergers any good? The ones made of that carbon stuff?

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's generally agreed upon that the Gibson Steinbergers suck. I believe Ned stayed on as a consultant for a while, so perhaps the first few years were ok. Anything with the Spirit name on it generally isn't near the coolness that the regular Steinbergers are.

Check out www.steinbergerworld.com. There's more info than you've ever wanted to know on there.

11. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    I had one of these (XP2 in white) for ten years. According to what I see at http://www.steinbergerworld.com/, they’re more rare than the XL-2 models.

I liked a lot of things about it, namely the super-cool looks, portability, excellent balance. And the tuning system is IMO the best thing that ever happened to stringed instruments.

On the downside, I had to attach a “horn” to the rear of it, simulating what normal basses have, to get it to hang in right position. With the strap attached directly to the body it was an unnaturally long reach to the bottom frets. I remember once in a show, not long after I got it, starting a song in G that was supposed to be in F. Major embarrassment!

Also, the neck was not as perfectly flat as it should have been – it had a bow from string tension, just like a wooden neck, only there was no way to adjust it out. Pretty bad gaffe for material that’s supposed to be stronger than steel.

In addition, it had a very annoying problem, that the G and D strings were significantly weaker and lower in volume than the E and G strings, so I always had to compensate with and equalizer. I found out right before I sold it that the pick-ups were probably bad.

I wasn’t until after I got a new custom bass made from seven different exotic woods that I realized how bland and sterile the Steinberger sounded.
    The cheaper ones from Gibson are all-wood, made in Korea. The higher priced models are wood with a composite neck. The bodies are made in Korea and the necks here in the States. Technically they should be close to the comparable original wood/composite Steinbergers.
    Of course they can’t compare to the originals, but I recently did a search here on Talkbass and the consensus was that they’re excellent basses for the price. The only consistent complaint was that the pick ups could be better, and that they’re not easily changed.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

12. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Yes and there are two types one is the narrow spaced and one has a wider spacing.

13. The narrow ones are really narrow--basically 5 strings squeezed onto an already narrow 4-string neck. I personally found it so tight as to be unplayable, but it might be different if I were a pick player instead of fingerstyle. Later, during the Gibson era after they started building the wider-spaced XQ-25 (I think that's the model number), a few wide-spaced XL-25/Wide all-composite ones were built, but they're rare as hen's teeth (so to speak) and priced accordingly, in the $3k range.

For what it's worth, the current story is that Gibson (in consultation with Ned) is supposed to be introducing some new all-graphite models, including a 5-string bass with magnetic and piezo pickups, and the price will be in the <$1500 range. Check it out here:

http://www.steinbergerworld.com/synapse/synapse-preview.htm

Mike

14. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Hammer,

I wasn't asking if they made a 5st 'berger, but if they made a 5st L series. I know they had the 5st XL series. The L series was the first, earliest of the broomstick models. They were soon replaced by the XL series, which are MUCH less rare today. My question still stands, did they ever actually make an L5, or is this one on ebay an L series with a later 5st bridge and "nut" attached??

Can't touch this....

:)

Lee

15. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    There were in fact some 5str L2 basses. So that one is answered. They also say my L2 was made 8/18/81. Mine is the L2, with the old, raised letter EMG pickups, fwiw.

Lee

16. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    This link has info on as many early L-model serial numbers.

http://www.steinbergerworld.com/serial-L.html

A serial #722 noted as “L2/5” shows up down the list as manufactured in 3/1983; a smattering of L2/5’s show up below that point.

The one on the auction is #1387. And he says he bought it in 1983 or 1984. The link above shows serial #’s1379 through #1382 all as 2/5’s – apparently a sequential run of 5-strings manufactured in December, 1983 (no info is shown above #1382 until #1412).

As far as I can see, it looks legit.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

17. You can't do that, or if you did, to would be very obvious. The headpiece on the L's is very different from the on the XL's. Aside from the screws on the faceplate, that's one of the easiest ways to distinguish between them. I think the bolt location on the bridge is different between the L's and XL's, too, but I could be wrong about that.

Mike