1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string strings question. Help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Drop-D, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Drop-D

Drop-D

Mar 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    Alright..

So, I've checked around and can't find an answer that I can spend money based on. I took the hour long drive both ways to pick up a set of Dean Markley Blue Steels for my Ibanez SR 505 5 string. And, when I began to string my G on, it snapped. The error wasn't mine, and Guitar Center has said they will give me store credit for the cost of the Dean Markley's.

I have Ernie Ball's on my 4 string, and have always been satisfied with them. But, they don't see much use 'cause I normally play the 5 string for gigs/practice. So I couldn't actually tell if they go dull fast or not. I play in a 4 piece hard rock/metal band so my bass is very present. I do a go amount of slap and poping, mostly slapping (like Fieldy, but not tuned down to drop A) and also have some solos. I need something bright, but more importantly flexible/durable.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

2. If it's bright, then DR Hi-Beams or Rotosound 55's.

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    +1 on the Hi Beams.

4. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I'd go with the hi-beams as well. I used them for a long time and they were great. I play flats now though.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have used nothing but DR Hi-Beams on my 5 string for years. Great strings IMHO.

6. Are the Hi-beams tight on the B? I have a set of D';Addarios and the B is too floppy for me

7. im an elixir guy. really bright and last forever.

8. Yep, DR High Beams should make you happy.

9. Had my guitar tech put some Hi-Beams on my Warwick Corvette 5 a couple years ago during a tune-up. He was pleasantly surprised with how they rang on that 'Vette. Really nice for bright tone.

10. Kenji

Kenji

Nov 6, 2007
    Holladay UT
    Hi-Beams and never look back

11. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    If they don't have Hi Beams, I use Dean Markley Blue Steels as an alternate.