1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String strung high

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Mar 22, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    What is involved in stringing a 5-string high rather than low? Is it merely changing strings with maybe a little tweak on the truss rod needed, or do you have to change out the nut, also? Thanks.

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I would say just try it. The worst that could happen is that the strings might rattle in the nut slots; if that hapens, then, yeah, you need a new nut. If not -- you're golden!

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I tried that tuning on my bass, and the only adjustment required was a quick tweak on the 'ol truss rod. Your results, may vary, of course. :D If you're buying a six string set anyway, (since I'm not aware of any manufacturer producing a high C set...) if it doesn't work, move the strings over and slap that B back on. Good luck!

4. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago

GHS packages a Boomers (nickel roundwounds) 5-string set w/high C.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It's also pretty easy to build a 5-string high C set by going to www.juststrings.com, buying your favorite set of strings, and simply adding a single high C string. They are usually $3-$4 for a single high C.

And, if you really want to give it a shot, I happen to know that Bass Central has a Rotosound solobass custom set with a high C in stock right now. And, the set is cheap, too. If you give them a call on Monday, and tell them you are from Talkbass, they'll give you a great deal to get it out of the store.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks all. I don't have a 5er to try it on now. I'm trying to decide if I wanna go with a 5 or a 6 on my next bass.

7. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Get a 6. You get a 5, it'll be cool for a month, and then you'll think: "I wonder what 6 would be like?"