Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 String strung high

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Mar 22, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    What is involved in stringing a 5-string high rather than low? Is it merely changing strings with maybe a little tweak on the truss rod needed, or do you have to change out the nut, also? Thanks.

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I would say just try it. The worst that could happen is that the strings might rattle in the nut slots; if that hapens, then, yeah, you need a new nut. If not -- you're golden!

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I tried that tuning on my bass, and the only adjustment required was a quick tweak on the 'ol truss rod. Your results, may vary, of course. :D If you're buying a six string set anyway, (since I'm not aware of any manufacturer producing a high C set...) if it doesn't work, move the strings over and slap that B back on. Good luck!

4. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago

GHS packages a Boomers (nickel roundwounds) 5-string set w/high C.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It's also pretty easy to build a 5-string high C set by going to www.juststrings.com, buying your favorite set of strings, and simply adding a single high C string. They are usually $3-$4 for a single high C.

And, if you really want to give it a shot, I happen to know that Bass Central has a Rotosound solobass custom set with a high C in stock right now. And, the set is cheap, too. If you give them a call on Monday, and tell them you are from Talkbass, they'll give you a great deal to get it out of the store.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks all. I don't have a 5er to try it on now. I'm trying to decide if I wanna go with a 5 or a 6 on my next bass.

7. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Get a 6. You get a 5, it'll be cool for a month, and then you'll think: "I wonder what 6 would be like?"