5 string suggestions required

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigwan, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi Guys,

I'm after suggestions for a reasonably good quality 5 string - I had considered the new line from Lakland, but there isn't a dealer in the UK to buy from!

I'd like to spend under £700 (about $1000) and it needs to be as tonally flexible as possible!

2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    well your options are:

- MTD Kingston
    very nice bass, passive, tight b
    - MTD Heir
    same bass with an added single coil
    - Warwick Streamer Pro M or LX (maybe)
    both very very very nice
    - Used Music Man 5
    excellent bass

I´m sure there are even more !
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Check out this English maker, Jon Shuker:

His "Jazz" series might be right up your alley, and the price is reasonable, starting around 600 pounds, I think. What's more, you can talk to Jon about what you want as opposed to just buying what's in the store.

My impression is that will get you better than "reasonably good quality."

I admit I haven't played one, but several folks here have--I posted a thread about Jon a month or two ago--and the word of mouth is good. I'm having him build me an acoustic bass guitar on the strength of what I heard and my e-mail correspondence with Jon.
  4. I have never seen an MTD in the UK. TRB Yamahas are a good bet. Ibanez BTB 405s and 515 worth looking at. Try second hand warwicks and MM on sites like www.loot.com or www.ebay.co.uk. If i had the cash I would go for a 515 or a second hand MM. Shop around.

Perhaps you could try www.musiciansfriend.com to mail order. Does anyone know what international shipping is from them? cos some of the savings look decent.

5. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    When english guys pose questions like this, I always say Shuker. For the price of standard factory basses, you can have a custom, hand made bass, just the way you want it!
  6. musicians friend doesn't ship to the u.k, iwas going to order one from there, after reading all the legal notices ect. it said right at the bottom in very small print "we don't ship outside america", or was it to the u.k? one of the 2