1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 String Tension

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by daahoud, Oct 16, 2009.

1. I been watching 5 string basses,and so many review say Sadowsky's get so good 5th string tension and sound.
    So I little studied.....
    I think some rel bt angle of string, location of string tree on head and string tension.

So I posted on bass board to ask theses.....

sadowsky_001.
    The pararell distance from Nut to String Tree

sadowsky_003.
    the height difference of Nut (actually string on nut) and string tree.

How do you think ?

With 34 inch scale bass.....
    I have tried bridge side, to change string angle on Saddle, but doesn't make big change. Bodythru installation ? well.... little works but not so much.
    So I headed to "Head" side. and the string retainer make more tension on all over 5 strings, including 5th of course.

I might be wrong, yeh.........:rolleyes:

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

You might want to do a search. The string tension topic has been beaten to death on Talkbass.

3. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    This is a great link for explaining string tension, including calculators.
    Please note the absence of string afterlength and break angle in the formula. I will not directly beat this dead horse.
    R

http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/tension.htm

4. Thank you Rodger Bryan.
    Due to the formula, theres no relate bt the Angle at Nut nor Bridge Saddle and Tension ? -.-;;
    which means..... there No tension difference with or without string retainer.
    then..... the 5th string tone results from another element ?? hm.....

5. Indeed. Hint: the stiffness, mass and density of the neck have a lot to do with it.