1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string to 4 string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by yeldarb, Jun 23, 2007.

1. yeldarb

yeldarb

Jun 22, 2007
    Anyone ever tried to convert a 5 string bass to a 4 string? I saw an awesome deal on a Stingray knock off at a pawnshop, but it's a 5 string and, no offense to those of you who play them, but I'm not a fan. I was thinking of taking it as a project. Any thoughts?

2. xwpx

xwpx

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I have a 5 string thunderbird and just moved all the strings up one and left the last one off...

3. yeldarb

yeldarb

Jun 22, 2007
    You're not worried this may cause problems with uneven tension on the neck? I've never really done anything like that, so I'm not sure what will happen over a long period of time.

4. xwpx

xwpx

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    couldnt tell ya... i hate how neck heavy the thunderbird is so it went from being a back up to just collecting dust

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you want a 4, buy a 4. You will have twisting issues because of the uneven tension if you simply leave one string off. And if you get it done properly, you're going to have a gigantic neck, plus you'll have to buy a new nut, bridge, and pickups to play your 4 with the gigantic neck. And you'll never be happy with it. A waste of time, money and effort.

6. yeldarb

yeldarb

Jun 22, 2007
    Yeah, I kind of thought so. It was just food for thought really.

7. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    SlimBaixo likes this.
  8. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I did a trade a while back on a Ken Smith knockoff four string neck through. I completed the bass with a little help and it is a great bass but the neck is pretty wide for a four string. I toyed with the idea of making it a five but then decided to make it a fretless and reshape the neck. It is in gigging condition but the neck still needs to be re-shaped. It sounds and looks killer.

9. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    keep it as a 5 string ands just don't touch the B. they'll be no extra reaching involved. it'll be exactly the same as a 4 except it'll look different

10. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    String it EADGC and ignore the C

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021