5 string to tenor?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slybubbaj, Sep 29, 2002.

1. hey guys. i was just wondering if i can convert my 5 string with the low b to a tenor bass with a high c string instead. i think i would get more use from it. i hardly use the low b string and i always seem to want to go higher on my solos. do i just need to replace the strings or is more work needed?

thanks for the help.
  2. It's fairly common. You'll need to get a new nut cut and to have your truss rod, action, and intonation adjusted, and perhaps your pickup height as well.

Steve Swallow, Bunny Brunel, Matthew Garrison, and Tony Levin are all known to use EADGC fivers. I considered doing it to my Yamaha 5-string fretless but decided I'd rather focus on playing above the twelfth position, so I don't get as dependent upon box forms.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You won't need to get a new nut cut, necessarily. When I did the aforementioned conversion, all I had to adjust was the action and string height. For some cosmic reason, I had no string rattle at the nut. Perhaps it's the downforce I get from leaving my strings very long when I change them; I don't know.

I would say more than likely, you will need a new nut. But, before you run out to the guitar shop, string it up real quick just for grins.