Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string to use with high C instead of low B

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jun 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've been thinking about getting a 5 and using a high c rather then the low b (a.k.a. the string that sounds like farting in different notes)

Anyway... I wanted to know how the high c sounds in a mix. Is it too high? Or does it still sound like it's coming from a bass, just like higher?

Anothing thing... I've been considering getting the Peavey G-bass 5 string for this... It seems like something good to turn into a frankenstein bass... Anyone have any comments on them? Anyone know how much they run?

Oh yeah... This wouldn't be my *main* bass... Just an extra to fool around with, and possibly drag to band practice.

Thanks.

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Thats what I've been doing for almost 10 years now. I like it a lot. Depending on the type of music you're doing it will be good or bad though. I like it because my band detunes everything by a whole step so the high C allows interesting chords and runs depite the low sound. Try it out and tell us what you think.

3. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I had my new bass strung that way when I bought it. I think it's a great sound. I like the sound of the bass in the upper range. Now I get it about five frets lower. This is in addition to all the new voicing options.

On thing though, the bass sounds fine amplified but when played acoustically, I get some buzzing. The slots in the nut are too big. I'm getting a new nut cut next week for around $40. And hopefully we'll be able to save the old nut incase I every want to string it with a low B.

LeonD

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Thanks... Any opinions on the G-bass? Anyone know how much they run?

5. A five string set up with a high C instead of a low B would sound like a six srting without the low B.(As if I'm telling you something you didn't know) My favourite six stringer is John Pattitucci. When I first started listening to him, it sounded a little odd, now,
    I love the sound. I don't think anyone would mistake the sound for a guitar. Also most little kids like high C, especially when the Kool Aid runs out.

Mike J.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why do you need the high C? Do you ever play chords? Especially full-voiced ones? I doubt it.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you're actually using a C string from a 6-string set, is there any problem with the fact that the nut and saddle grooves are cut for strings with different diameter ranges? (i.e., E in the B grooves, C in the G grooves, and so on).

8. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

rickbass1: Yes there can be a problem; see my post at the top of the thread.

The place I bought my bass from put on a set of strings with a high C (or you could use a six string set without the low B) and adjusted the bass for the new strings.

Through an amp, everything sounds fine. By itself however, I get buzzing on the high strings played open.

Hopefully, a new nut will cure all.

Angus: Chords are the main reason I went with a five over another four. I've been playing chord inversions on the first, second & third strings or first, second & fourth strings. The chord tones are the root, third & seventh or sixth. These are common with jazz guitar (a former life of mine) but on the lower strings. With a good bass, they sound sweet!

I'd like some day to put a group together without a guitar and have the bass cover both the bass and guitar parts. Kind of like an electric Medeski, Martin and Wood. We can all dream.

LeonD

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't think my reasoning for neccessarily wanting a high C would matter. I'd like to try something new. (as in a new string)
    And I think that I'd rather have one higher than one lower.

I'd appreciate some comments on the G-bass.

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    LeonD,

Your buzz may have something to do with how your bass is setup i.e. string heights, neck relief. Have you checked into these things? I've taken more than a couple of 5's that came with a B and strung the with a C instead, set it up and presto! plays great no buzz.

11. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Phil,

I thought about the setup but if I hold the strings on the nut or just behind (towards the headstock), the buzz goes away. This leads me to believe the nut slot is a little too wide.

But I'll have the tech check the setup before we start pulling out the nut.

Thanks for the suggestion,
    LeonD

12. NeoTrotskyist

NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    does anyone make a bass factory set up for a high c string? i'm in a jazz fusion group with no guitar player, and i'd like to play some guitar like parts.

13. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Not that I can think of. High end makers will do it but that's just like a custom bass.

If it's the sound you want to hear, try a six string and don't play the low B.

If you're looking for a bass, any five string will work with a new set of strings, the action / intonation being reset and possibly a new nut. This should add between $50 to $100 to the price of the bass.

LeonD

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I know... I wanted to get a G-bass though because I've always assumed that a graphite neck'll be fast.

I'm curious as to how they sound in general though. I've honestly never played one.
    And if their price isn't too heavy, I'll pick one up just to use have as a secondary...

I understand everything now about the high c. I just wanna know what the G-basses are like!! ;)

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nono, I know what chords are, and I wasn't questioning you! I was question C-Eye, because I know he doesn't know and doesn't play anything more than a double stop.

BTW, a new nut shouldn't cost more than $40 for materials and labor.

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Angus... You have yet to post in any of my threads anything relating to them. I never even mentioned playing chords.

17. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Having a high C does offer some nice chordal possibilities though. I do some three string chords and several two string chords. It opens up so many great options for you to try. Change the nut, which you'll probably have to, and then go wild brutha!!!

18. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Angus....Why should YOU care WHAT C-eye wants? Lets keep "personal attacks" OUT of TalkBass.
    Now...let's all play nice, so I can go back to being a moderator....and NOT a babysitter....:)
    If you have a problem with this....email me, Stingray5, and Paul. I am sure that it can be worked out, so that you don't have a problem in the future...:)

19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'll probably consider chords when I actually get something with a high c on it... But... I'm still lookin' for opinions on the Peavey G-bass...??

20. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I know you're looking for opinions but I've never played one. I used to have a Paladuim and it was a great bass but it's totally different.

Did you try the Harmony Central reviews?

The other thing would be to start another thread with Peavey G-bass Opinions? as a title. Just a suggestion.

LeonD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.