Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-String Tuning to 6-String minus Low-B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Matteran, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    My girlfriend as we speak is tuning EADGC, but she's doing it with 5-string Strings. Designed to be tuned to BEADG, is it cool if the strings are strung this tight? Or should we just buy a pack of 4-string strings, and a single C string? I just don't want her to have permanent scars all over her face from exploding strings.

2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    okay, so, it works, but i suggested that she not try slapping until one of you respond.

I could see an advantage to tuning a 5-string with these strings, because her "e" string has the gauge of a "b" string, so it's a very thick tone

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I played a tenor 5 for years... I just bought 4 string sets and an extra C (actually I used a high B back then... made chording easier which is why I went for a 5th string)

4. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    so do you advise against using regular 5-string strings? The neck is being bowed like crazy, i could shoot arrows from this thing.

Oh, and could you suggest the best strings for slapping and playing jazz that's available at musiciansfriend? Even if it is alright to play with these strings, there's just so much tension it just feels wrong.

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'd think that tuning that high would put quite a bit of stress on the neck. Although I'm sure it's physically possible to do, I would never do it on my own bass. Get a thick set of strings meant for tuning EADGC...

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'd set it back before you break something!!!!!

every player has there favorite string... most any will work in almost any situation.

I see the D'addario Pro Steel are pretty cheap at MF, I use to use either Rotosounds, Ken Smiths and in then GHS Super Steels (actually hated the GHS, but my guitarist owned a store and that was his best connection... I was getting them at about $8 a 5 string set). My newest fav string is the reissued D'Addario XL Half Rounds... not for typical slapping though

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wrong forum - moved.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Even if tuning those strings so high don't break the strings or make them explode (though it might), it will certainly put a very high amount of stress on the neck, making it bow badly, or even twist out and warp. Unless you want to ruin a bass, stop it NOW!
    If she wants thick strings, get a thick 4-set and a thicker C.

Of the strings I've so far tried, very good for slap are: DR Lo Riders and Thomastik-Infeld Powerbass. The Lo Riders are more of a funk string, giving you that traditional slap tone, but they have less girth than the Powerbass. These are both expensive, but very good strings.