Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 String Tunning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timidbassist, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Well my band mainly plays in Drop D, and i was thinking i really wanted a 5 string bass as my next guitar. I was thinking of ways to make this work in our style. Has anyone done or heard of a tunning ADADG and if it would work well? Have a lot of chords with the D and A so i figured having that low B down to an A might come in handy. What do you guys think?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've heard of people using that tuning before (Mudvayne maybe?), but if you're just playing in drop D, you don't have to tune down anything-just play in a static position using the low D on the B string. The one real reason you'd have to tune down is if you plan on playing open D notes while jumping around the fretboard. Otherwise, playing chords with A and D notes is just as simple without detuning-you just have to fret them.

3. If you're used to DADG, then it's alright I guess. But for myself, it would be confusing, since the AD are tuned in fourths and then it jumps a fifth to the ADG, etc. If you want a pretty standard tuning, dropped to A, go for ADGCF.

4. My band is currently playing in ADGCF - Great tuning.