Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string under $450

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Listen, May 23, 2002.

1. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I'm looking for a 5 string for under $450, I could go a little over. Does anybody know anything good out there? I have a few ideas

OLP mm3 (heard nothing good about 5 string version)

Warwick RockBass Standard

Ibanez SR405DX

ESP b-105

I got some others in mind, but still searching, thanks.:p

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Spend just a little more. Then you'll have the MTD K5 which is regarded as one of the best sub-$1000 fivers.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It can be had for less than 450, if you know where to look, and who to ask.

And yes, it's IMHO THE best under $1000, some might argue Skyline, but it's the MTD k5 for me.

4. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    You could always gamble on a Copley. They were recently going for a "Buy-it-Now" price of $325 on eBay. (I got mine for $400 shipped in a custom hardshell case.) I think the distributor is sold out presently.

Anyway, several people at talkbass have been extremely happy with their Copley purchases. I have mixed feelings about my own -- I definitely got more bass than I paid for, but there were some quality control issues with my instrument.

Check out this long and tangled thread for more:

http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41091&highlight=copley+ebay.

5. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I might just buy one then, I've seen them for 475-500

6. Before I pulled the trigger on a cheap new 5- string, I would check out the classified ads on gbase.com, bassgear.com and harmony-central.com. or stop by one of your local music stores and see what they've got for used 5-strings. I got a used but perfect Reverend Rumblefish XL 4-string for $360, delivered with a gig bag. Believe me, you'll get a lot more bass for a lot less money if you buy used. There are lots of good deals on fabulous instruments out there if you're not afraid of a little belt buckle rash or the minor dings that go along with gear that's been used.

7. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Nope, I don't buy used, thanks anyway, I've had some bad experiences with used instruments:(

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hohner Professional B Bass V. I got one used, and it sounds great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I have a ESPf204 and also played a 5 string i havent played a MTD K5 so i don't know how they sound or play. I would have to say i would pick the ESP. :)

10. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Does anybody know anything about Cort Curbow basses? I hear there good

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Curbows are Ok for the money. Nowhere near the MTD K5s, but they aren't a bad bass by any stretch of the imagination. The body shape isn't great for sitting down though, which is a shame, because it really holds the bass back, in my opinion. However, a folded up T-shirt or somethind would give you the right amound of padding.

The B is respectable, for the price. The B on the Kingston kills though...it beats out some of the 2000+ basses I've layed my mitts on.

12. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Does the MTD K5's sound compare to any other instrument? If so what kind is it similar to? Is the MTD K5 good for slap pop playing?

13. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    so far I'm all for the Kingston

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Another vote here for the Kingston 5, you should be able to score a brand new one for $450. It's passive, but there are few active basses out there (new) in that price range that are worth the cash.

You could always drop a nice pre in there later. Nice bass!

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    www.access-bass.com

It has sound samples of the MTD Kingston. It's got a single MM style humbucker, though it doesn't sound like a Ray. It can go from a fairly good P whump to a fairly growly J with just a turn of the tone knob. Deep, clear, and sounds good. Excellent slap bass, BTW, as well as a great all arounder. Nothing it can't handle.

Simmilar instrument? an MTD

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Definatley check out some Yamaha's. You could surley score a nice 5er for 450.

17. I second the Yamaha vote.

But the Kingston and the Skyline are probably a little better.

You can get a really good Yammer for around $300 new.

18. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I have a really big grin on my ugly face! YOu guys have helped me a ton, so far I'm goin with a Kingston, I found some nice one's for about $450-475 at bass central.com

Thanks Again!

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can afford the MTD Kingston, it is better than any of the fives mentioned in this thread except for the Lakland Skyline.

20. Another vote for the Kingston.I got one a few weeks ago and I'm having trouble deciding whether to use it or my Millenium 5 this weekend.They really are nice.