Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string under 700

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vagenis, Oct 6, 2002.

1. vagenis

vagenis Member

Oct 6, 2002
    whats a good 5 string around 700$? any kind of bass to particular genre

2. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

Ibanez soundgear, Dean Edge 5, stuff like that

3. You can get a Lakland Skyline 55-01,a Peavey and probably a few other things. I highly recommend the Skyline.

4. I would look at the lakland, but don't forget the Yamaha's, both the BB series, and the RBX series. I have a BBg5s, they can be picked up for $200-$300, and I have absolultely no complaints.

5. mtd kingston, or heir

6. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Warwick Rockbass.

I used it last night at a gig, and I am completely impressed with the sound it is capable of. Not as good as my ZON, but better than the Lakland Skyline I had, IMO.

7. MTD Kingston 5 or Heir 5. Sub-$1000 basses should not have preamps.

8. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Maybe, but both the Skyline pre and the Rockbass pre are very good for the price. I had a Kingston, and both the Skyline and the Rockbass are much better sounding, IMO.

Now Ibanez...whew, those pres sound horrible to me...

9. intillectualmin

intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    which rockbass and skyline are u comparing? ive been looking into both basses, but havent been able to get to a store that carries them. They both seem really nice for the price.

10. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I am talking about the Lakalnd Skyline 55-01 and the Rockbass that has the MEC pups/preamp....

11. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
  12. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The Carvin B5, a bolt-on with 2 J pickups and active electronics, starts at $649. Case is another $40, shipping about $20.

The LB75, a neck-through, starts at $729. Same pickups and electronics.

Carvin's J-style pickups are mediocre, and the preamp is OK but nothing special, but the construction is excellent and customer service superb. Give 'em a look.

13. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Look for a used bass, you should be able to get a pretty nice 5 stribg for $700 used.

14. Steve 16

Steve 16 Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Memphis,Tn
    I wish I had $700 to spend on a bass but I've been eyein' this one lately...----->Beautiful Bass...

15. BBN5, BB605, BB405, almost anything ibanez, MTD Kingston 5, almost all of the yamaha rbx series

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Great point. A few years ago I picked up a MIA Jazz 5 for $650 with hardshell case.

17. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Ibanez BTB 405QM

Greatest lows youll ever hear for under 600 dollars :D

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Try out the Spector Professional series! I think they list higher than your budget, but reckon you could get them within it!

I got a REX2000/5 - over here it cost me £665, but where you are you might get them down to your budget.

19. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My vote goes for the Lakland Skyline 55-01. A great bass.

20. Lakland 5501
    This kind of quality and sound would have cost thousands a few years ago.:D