Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string uprights

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bassman5150, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Bassman5150

Bassman5150

Sep 9, 2001
    Has anyone tried one before (BEADG or EADGC tuning)? what is it like? Is the low B playable?

2. Frank Tate has a Hawkes bass converted to BEADG. Of course it's playable.

3. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I was in high school, the school had one. I had it tuned CEADG as the low string really benefited from the extra tension from the half step up. It wasn't that difficult to remember that I had that M3 interval among the strings. Personally, I think that a fifth string is superior to the low C extension for hitting those low notes, but the beasts are sufficiently rare in the states that when I buy my next DB it will have the low C extension.

-dh

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Don,

They aren't that rare anymore and I'm seeing quite a few more in orchestras these days, and they've benn common in European orchestras for years. My c.1930's Juzek is a 5, but I use it as a 4 string now. The Velvet 180's are too expensive for me to justify the 5th string, never mind the fact that the 5 string bridge I have is terrible. It's on my "one of these days" pile.

Monte

5. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Of course the other big concern is whether my precious hard-earned dollars won't buy me a better-quality bass if I get the four string with extension than if I buy a five string. But it's all well in the future anyway as my new bass fund has been re-labeled my in-case-I-get-laid-off fund.

-dh