1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string versatile bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Nov 28, 2006.

1. I have become reinspired in my bass playing and my music playing in general. When I started playing bass I started on a 5 string. At some point I decided I wanted a ric. In doing so I decided I was a 4 string player. I sold all my 5 strings and bought 4 strings. I have picked up a few 5 stringers recently and realise they are where I am most comfortable. That being said I am looking for a new 5 stringer and came here for opinions. Before I state any of my criteria for what I would like let me begin by saying as of right now the 2 that are sticking out most at me are the Peavey Cirrus or an EB Bongo.

I would like a versatile bass. I am definatly leanign towards active for EQ benefits. I want something I can set up with very Low action. and i would like something that I can really bring out harmonics with. I know some basses harmonics dont pic up very well do to pickup placement. I want a bass I can give me good slap and fingerstyle tones. As for the neck I definatly prefer a thinner neck then a bassball neck.

Any suggestions on basses for me to hunt out and try would be greatly appreciated.

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I am a Dingwall fanatic and recommend everyone to try an Afterburner I. However, for what you are describing I think the Bongo would work better than the Cirrus and almost any other bass I can think of. The two Bongo's I have played had crazy low action and they are very versatile. If I were you I would get a Bongo HH, the single coil isn't as hot as the humbuckers in the HS models so you can't really solo the neck pickup on the HS. A Lakland 55-02 is also very worth trying. Happy hunting!

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The American Fender Deluxe basses have a nice neck and great electronics. The Sadowsky Metro is even nicer, but twice as expensive.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Short of Dingwall dollars, I'm into Carvin.

5. As much as I would love to try the sadowsky route I would like to stay around the $1000 range I am willing to go over it but would prefer not to. I am not sure if I want Jazz pickups. In my experience they can be a bit noisey when soloed.

6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    ...snip (just had question answered as posting)

My 5 string PJ is incredibly versatile.

I think the PJ combination in general is one of the most varied pu options you can get for different, but great tones. Especially when you start throwing in bass pre's and extra string (5er) into the mix.

7. Ibanez ATK.

8. I had a coupel PJ basses in the past. My big issue has always been haveing a very noising J pickup especially with not haveing a second single coil to cancel the Hum.

9. robnatt

robnatt

Sep 14, 2005
    I like my Modulus Q5 and Pedulla Rapture 5. Both are very versatile with active EQ.

10. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Gotcha. Actually mine's a humcancelling Nordstrand for the "J" pickup in the bass, but I can see why'd you'd be hesitant from your earlier experiences.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bongo!!!

12. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    I'm gassing for a 5-string Bongo, so you know my vote. Check out TB member Alvaro who has a Youtube video of him playing Stu Hamm's Star-spangled banner on his Bongo. It sounds great. Here it is:

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Many basses nowadays offer noisless J pickups, including Fender. My Deluxe is perfectly quiet, even when the pickups are soloed.

14. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    G&L L-2500

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    G&L 2500: word!
    Lakland 55-02.
    Musicman Sterling HS.

16. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina

+1 I said I want a Bongo, but I humbly sumbmit that this is an excellent choice as well.

17. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I find that my Dean B2-5 is probably my most versatile bass, sonically. It's the Brian Bromberg model. Brian played my bass at his clinic in Austin and said that swapping out the stock pups for Barts (57J-1s) was the best thing I coulda done. It goes from deep, dark dub to sparkling clear, rip-your-ears-off-and-shove-em-up-your-nose bright at the twist of a knob (or two). Plus, it has the added bonus of having a well-voiced Fishman piezo bridge. The neck is very slim, but not cramped-feeling. More sleek than skinny. If you can try one out, you'd be impressed. Even more so if you have the Barts in it! :D

18. I havent found any of the above basses in a store around here to try out yet. But I have heard that a local place has a 5 string Stingray HH. How similiar is a Stingray HH to a Bongo HH? Also I heard of someone haveing a 5 sting Spector Rebop I havent played a spector in years and kinda foggy on them. How would that weigh in against the others previously mentioned?