1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 String vs. 4 String Set for Drop C

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ChandlerCornell, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Hey everyone, I have a 4 string Ibanez ATK300 (34 in. scale) I'm interested in having set up for Drop C tuning C,G,C,F. I'm leaning more towards using a 5 string set and throwing out the G string as to keep string tension nice and tight. Would you recommend using a 5 string set for this tuning, or just using a heavier gauge 4 string pack? For either, what gauge would you recommend? I'm trying to do my homework before I decide to have the nut and bridge filed along with the rest of the altering set up. Thank you!

2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    A few folks make 4 strings sets with larger gauges specifically for down tuning. DR has the DDT sets, LaBella has the Drop Tune sets, and some standard sets might be available is large enough gauges to fit your needs.

Check out BassStringsOnline.com

ChandlerCornell likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If the gauges are the same, it doesn't matter if it comes with an extra string or not.

4. Of course, but I'm not talking about getting the same gauge in a 5 or 4 string pack. I'm just not sure whether or not getting a low B string at 125 gauge is going to be too much for tuning that B to C or if I should just go with a 4 string pack with a 115 or 120 gauge E string instead.

5. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Bs are usually loose so uptuning to C is fine and improves the playability. However tuning EAD strings up 3 semitones is not good as this is too much tension.
    If you're going to waste a string it will be roughly the same cost to build a custom set of singles, then you can make all strings tight and equal tension.
    Use the tension chart by D'Addario or Kalium to roughly approximate any brand of roundwound, by retuning your current known gauges use it to see what tension you like per string, then select gauges to give those per-string tensions in your desired tuning http://store.kaliumstrings.com/TensionCalculator/tensionChart.php?scale_length=34
    Note DR DDT sets are gauged for all-fourths tuning not a drop tuning. Kalium sell a wide range of sets for a drop tuning with equal tension strings 4 String Sets - Standard Scale - Balanced Drop Tune Tension - Hybrid Bass Strings - Shop By Material - Electric Bass Guitar

6. Well, that's everything I wanted to know! Thank you very much!