1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 String vs Drop Tune Set for Open C

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PianoOfDoom, Dec 1, 2017.

1. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Looking to tune my TBird down to CFCF, and was wondering if it is better to tune up from BEAD or try some dedicated drop sets like the DDTs (which gauge?). Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    How much tension do you like? If you like higher tension, pick a set to tune up-Lower tension, pick a set you have to tune down.

PianoOfDoom likes this.
  3. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    I like normal tension :)

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Neither will be suitable as both types of set are for all-fourths and the result will be very imbalanced and top-heavy. DR DDTs are already very top-heavy and this will get worse.
    Certainly do not attempt to tune up from BEAD, the tension of the top 2 will be extreme and also very top-heavy.

Ideally choose a set of single strings that give you the per-string tension you like, you can use D'Addario's 'String tension pro' web app to do this.
    Or use a 5 string set but don't remove the G, remove the A. Use the BE tuned up 1 semitone, and the DG tuned down 2 semitones. The best 5 strnig set to do this with is a top-heavy one like 130 100 80 65 45, use 130 100 65 45 it will actually be reasonably balanced.

PianoOfDoom likes this.
  5. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks. I ordered a lighter set of 5 Strings to play with (Rotosound RB40-5 [edit: switched order to nickel loriders after some more reading]) which gives me 40-60-80-100-125. To stick with 4ths, I could tune C-F-A#-D# and that presumably would fix the balance problem and keep my fingers used to their usual shapes. I though CFCF would be fun since I could mirror high and low parts, but maybe that's not all that useful.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  6. I'm using GHS Boomers just as an example to show you what kind of gauge selection you would be looking at for CFCF.

F - .050 - 40.9 (lbs.)
    C - .065 - 39.8
    F - .095 - 40.5
    C - .125 - 38.8

Have fun experimenting...

PianoOfDoom likes this.
  7. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks! That is helpful.