5 string Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Horokito, Oct 18, 2004.

1. I'm thinking about ordering up a fender style bass from Warmoth, but for gigging reasons, a five string is a must. Does anyone have any experience with their 5 strings and if so, how is the B string? I've played a couple of nice 34" with killer B strings, so I know there's more to it than just the scale length, but having never played one of their basses, I don't want to go into it blind (deaf?).
  2. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Do a search :)

That being said...I've built one, a P bass 5 string with a bart soapbar in the MM spot. The body was alder, neck was maple,maple and the bridge was Schaller roller. The B was great. Probably due in part to the stiffness of Warmoth necks (steel reinforcement). I don't think you can go wrong with Warmoth 5ers. Good luck....and you'll have sooo much fun doing it.
  3. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I've built a couple of Warmoth Jazz fives. Great parts. The one I built for myself is strung EADGC though so I can't comment on the B string. The one I built for a friend (who became my wife), as a gift from many other friends has a low B and it's seems ok the few times I've played it. Of course there's a million ways you can configure these things. I say go for it. Here's the two I put together. Mine's the blue one with MM pickup.

4. lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    sweet lokking basses! i just ordered a warmoth body, alder with flame top. can`t wait! did you do the die job and finish yourself ? if you did, how?
  5. Those do look real nice. I wonder if they'll do a five string dinky J or P body.
  6. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They (Warmoth) seem to be pretty strict about not varying much from there normal body styles. I'd imagine you probably won't be able to get anything other than their standard 5 string P or J bodies. Don't worry about weight or uncomfortable styling....they are comfy and only weigh as much as the wood you choose.
  7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I had Warmoth do the finishes on the body. I had never messed with a dye job before and didn't want to mess it up. I did do the finishes on the neck with spray can lacquer. I let the necks sit for at least a month before I wet sanded and hand rubbed them.

8. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    What would you compare warmoths 5 neck to in reguard to the feel and contour? Fender, music man, carvin. Not quality but the feel and shape.
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've built a few Warmoth 5 String Jazz Styled basses & the B on all of them were great.

".....but having never played one of their basses, I don't want to go into it blind (deaf?)."
    If you're ever in the NYC area, I have 2 of them (the Natural & Zebrawood) that you can try.

10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Man! Everytime I see that green one I fall in lust!
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    :cool: You know how to get one. ;)

In regards to the neck shape I guess I'll chime in.

They have an asymetrical neck shape with more beef of the bass side of the neck than the trebble side. It makes the neck very manageable and easy on the hands. Its a lot more comfortable than my G&L and feel much better than any Fender.

I cant remember how it compares to a Stingray 5, but its probably in the same ball park if not nicer.

The string spacing is probably about the same as a Fender since they are made to match Fender specs, but it really feels much much nicer and more manageable because of the neck's profile.