Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string - Where to rest the thumb?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DjangoPastorius, Jan 3, 2004.

1. DjangoPastorius

DjangoPastorius

Nov 24, 2003
    I got a Warwick Thumb 5 a few months back and habitually let my right hand thumb rest BETWEEN the B string and the body. I guess this is bad form, but resting on top of the B string doesnt allow my hand to reach low enough to play fingerstyle comfortably.

Where do you rest your left hand (if at all)?

I play jazz standards in a piano trio and get called on to solo often. And the Warwick sounds pretty darn good through a SWR Super Redhead - almost enough to make me consider leaving the upright at home permanently.

2. DjangoPastorius

DjangoPastorius

Nov 24, 2003
    err. -that should have been "RIGHT HAND"

3. I've only owned 5-Strings ever since I started playing.

Personally, I like resting my thumb on the B-String and then moving it onto the Neck Pick-up if you have to play the Low B. (Assuming you're just playing regular fingersyle.)

4. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    +1 :bassist:

5. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    I use the floating thumb trchnique which works really well for me. If I'm playing the E, I rest the thumb on the B. If I play the A, I rest on the E but force my thumb to lean into the B to mute it. I do the same thing for the D and G. It was difficult to learn because it didn't seem natural at first, but after a few hours of practice, it just happened.