5 string with a high C?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Harrell, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Anyone here have any experience re-stringing a 5 with a high C instead of a low B? I've got a Carvin 5 string and I just never use the low B. I'm thinking of trying to re-string it with a high C, but thought I would ask around first as to avoid any problems that haven't crossed my mind.

David Harrell
  2. Did that on my fretless rebop 5, thinking I'd use the higher registers more, but I'm not. Doesn't mean you won't, though. Try it! I haven't touched the truss rod & it plays fine. Actually, right now it's tuned DGCFBb. I like the low tension, but I don't know if I'll get used to it or just go back to BEADG.
  3. I have got 2 5-string basses, an ibanez and a Traben. Now I'm going to tune one of them: DGCFBb, because I nearly never use the H (in my case it's a deep A-srting) and a 6-string would be too thick for me..
  4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    That's how a bunch of cats have it... Matt Garrison/Dominique DiPiazza... It is a great tuning, I think that the timbre of a C sounds great for chords, soloing and playing with other bassists.

My next 5'er is going to be tuned that way.
  5. You'll probably have to replace the nut and adjust the bridge but that should be it. You may be able to get away with the same nut. Depends on how it was cut.

- Dave
  6. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You might also want to check the intonation and possibly adjust the trussrod. It's difficult to tell how a B to C change will impact any one particular bass, but the nut, saddle height, action, and intonation are good places to start. Good luck if you decide to make the change. :)