Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string?yamaha?other?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hizzoner, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Hizzoner

Hizzoner Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    Great threads! I m just getting back into bass playing and taking a more serious approach(being older seems to do that , eh?). I have always played a 1975 Fender p- Bass (ala Steve Harris)but am looking to expand into somehting new. I thought a 5 string would be a good starting point for different kinds of music and wondered if anyone had impressions on yamaha TRB models...or Laklands...or the Fender Jazz basses...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I want them all!. I really would like a Sadowsky but have to put personal WANTS aside for the benefit of my young daughter...

Yamahs look cool plus J.Patitucci plays them, are they good? What do they retail for?

Thanks!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How about a TRBP5-II? List is $3,999, but can be had for under $2K. Mine is as fine as any of my other basses, including Lakland, Pedulla, EBMM, Zon. A superb bass in playability, tone, versatility, fit and finish. Here's a peek.

3. Munjibunga,

Looks great! I've got serious gas for one of those! Can't make up my mind between bubinga and maple top. I'm in Canada and the best price I've seen yet is about $3500.00 CAD, but that's without really trying to get a better deal.

I currently play an SR5, is the 35" scale and the string spacing a big leap from the Stingray?

Al