5 String?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arod1213, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Arod1213

Arod1213

Feb 24, 2013
    I currently own a Squier 1991 HM Bass made in Korea. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1374852424.882141.jpg
    I study with Alphonso Johnson. I play in a band called Rumble and some of our songs require a five string bass and when we practice I use the Squier, but the sound is just not there. I hope some of you guys can give an idea on a good five string with a price below $5000

Thanks,
    Aidan

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    a 5 string priced below $5000 and you currently play a Squire???

3. Aren't ALL 5 strings under $5000? Except maybe a Ritter, Fodera or something made from the deck boards of Noah's Ark?

4. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    With a price below $5000, you have endless options including many high-end boutique builders. Many have said great things about Valenti and Martin Keith basses, who produce awesome custom basses at very reasonable prices. You can also get any production Fender, Fender Custom Shop, Ernie Ball Music Man, G&L, Gibson, Rickenbacker, Warwick, Spector, Carvin...

Unless you meant $500, in which case, I say Yamaha BB425:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-BB42...s-Guitar-Recert-Customer-Return-/350791331205

5. Arod1213

Arod1213

Feb 24, 2013
    I have enough four strings.
    I have an Alembic and a 1982 G&L
    I need a five string in the quality range of those. I have been looking at performance guitars, but I'm not sure i don't want to spend then regret.

6. let's assume for a minute that he actually meant to type $500

the only other possibilities are highly unlikely (that he's delusional about the value of things or has come into huge amounts of money and doesn't know what to do with it or isn't talking in north american currency or is just making stuff up to give us something to talk about LoL)

7. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Apparently he didn't:

At a $5000 limit, you might want to go for a G&L L-2500, and save yourself a ton of money. It's a POWERFUL bass, with tons of options in the electronics. Many people here swear by them, and you just have to contact a reasonable dealer to get a good price on one with the cosmetic options you want (read: not Musician's Friend). You should be very happy if you like your G&L.

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Other than just being a HUH?? question, for $5000, most any bass from Fodera, Elrick, Modulus, Dingwall, even Alembic are available. There isn't a bass that I can think of in a new or used configuration that you cannot get for $5000.. We can't tell you what to buy. You have to play them. In your OP, you said you were playing a Squire then in your next post your playing an Alembic and G&L.. Well, what is it?? As with everyone here on TB, there are a million opinions and everyone is correct. There are Ibanez basses for $200 that play better than $2000 vintage Fenders.

9. Well in my personal opinion, I'd go with a Wal Mk3 5'er. For no other reason than I think they're awesome and are capable of many tonal options.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Buy a used carvin and go on vacation.

11. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Just add a pinch of salt and a twist of lime.

12. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I took a couple minutes to research the OPs background - it checks out. Aidan, you are clearly a young man who takes your playing seriously. How old are you and the guys in your band, and what opportunities are you getting to play out? Keep doing that, for sure.

Like everyone is saying, $5000 will buy you just about anything, including several pieces that are designed to appeal to a very specific tone goal, are hand-built, or otherwise have a very narrow appeal even though their quality may be high. You might not know what you want enough to perceive value in a bass like that.

If you want to buy a versatile bass that will be built well, feel good to play, and will sound good in almost any musical situation - but if you don't have any really strong ideas about specifics of design or tone, consider a Sadowsky 5 string. You can get into a US-made model at or a little under your price point or a Japanese made version (called a "Metro") for about half that price. Generally Sadowsky basses are Fender-like designs. You can't go wrong and they hold value well if you decide to sell yours down the line.

If you don't want a Fender-derivative design for some reason, I'd make most of the same observations about Lakland basses. Well-built, versatile, sound great, slightly different look and feel. Lakland also has a Japanese-built model priced lower than the US-made versions, and the Japanese-built basses from both companies are actually quite highly regarded.

Good luck.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Dude, you can buy ANY bass you want new for under $5000 with the exception of Fodera, high end Alembics, Ritters and Carl Thompson and a few others.

Even an amazing new Alleva Coppolo or Sadowsky MIA are almost always less than $5k new.

Before buying something so expensive, go out and play EVERYTHING!

14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    What happened to your other basses:

• 1978 Fender Musicmaster
    • Sadowsky NYC Standard 4
    • 1969 Fender J-Bass
    • 2000 Warwick Guitar Center Limited Edition

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Lakland is also a Fender-derivative design - as is Sadowsky. As is also Mike Lull. As is also Nordstrand. As is also Moon. As is also Alleva Coppolo. As is also Valenti. As is also Overwater. And so on and so forth... :meh:

A truly non-Fender design would be something more along the lines of a Spector. Or a Warwick. Or an MTD. Or a Fodera. Or an Alembic.

MM

16. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Well, OK. A lakland 55-94 looks more like a MusicMan than a Fender and sounds different than a Sadowsky to my ears.

Then again, a MusicMan is obviously a Fender derivative and the other brands you mentioned are certainly further away from a design standpoint.

17. Arod1213

Arod1213

Feb 24, 2013
    The Musicmaster is mine. The others are my uncles, but I still get to play them anytime.

18. Arod1213

Arod1213

Feb 24, 2013
    In considering selling the Musicmaster. It weighs too much for me.

19. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not to be rude, but you sound like a spoiled brat, and I don't know you at all. Go out and play some f***ing bass guitars.

You've got $5000 to spend? You could get a plane ticket to NYC for under $600, for example, and go try all kinds of basses in all kinds of shops. I bet there's tons of places in your state to try some instruments out. So go find one, and play some stuff.

Personally, I'd find the nearest Dingwall and just buy it if I had $5000.

20. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Jan 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    To me, that's a most personal question. We love our basses for such wierd, personal reasons sometimes. For me, sometimes it starts with just the look. Or color. Or a deal I can't pass up. I can always make it a pro quality player with new pickups......:)

Even a Squier 5 string. That would be under $500. New pickups and your there.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021