1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Can you tell me who makes a good set of strings for a 5 string EADGC

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Depends a lot on your definition of "good". One thing I can tell you: you can find strings in practically any gauge you want, to accommodate virtually any tuning, at Kalium Strings. That might be a good place to start.

MM

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Sturg likes this.
  3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Just buy any 4 string set that you like and then add a high-C single string.

Alternatively, watch out for any special sale of 6 string sets, cause many times the discounted price is far lower than a four string set with additional high-C single string. Loose the low B, sell it or just keep it for future use.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  4. GHS makes a set with a high c, has anyone tried them. Guitar Center does not have them but say they can order them. Well I can order them myself, and get them sent to my house. I think it said 20 bucks are around that again has anyone tried them. I have never used GHS on bass, I have on guitar and they were okay.

5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    The 5 string set with high-c that you are referring is the Bass Boomers set which has lots of reviews here and elsewhere on the net. I think GHS have produced many great strings, although I only use their Pressurewound strings.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  7. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    I can tell you which i prefer and use on my five strings bass:

>Fodera Medium Nickel-Roundwound

>Ken Smith Bass Burner-Medium Round wound nickel plated steel Taper Core

> Spector Nickel Plated Steel

Basstards and Mystic Michael like this.
  8. I use to be a lead guitarist, and I like to and my pastor who leads worship, likes me to play short leads. And I can't afford a 6 string right, but I want that deep bass sound.

9. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    There are so few sets for EADGC, for the sake of brand choice it is a good idea to buy a 4 string set and add a single high C.
    Equal tension pairs are .035 .025, .040 .028, .045 .032, .050 .035.
    The largest choice is from Kalium Strings who have EADGC sets in every heaviness imaginable.

10. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    +1 for Fodera. All gauges and string lengths available. Nicely priced too. Sound amazing.