Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tyburn, Mar 11, 2001.

1. hey, i'm thinking/ am going to buy a new bass soon( sonn as i've got the cash saved!! :( )

i've got a fender j at the moment that i drasticallly improved,, i love my bass so i'm going to keep it,, what i would like to get is a 5 stringer and my teacher thinks it's a good idea( but he wan't me to get a 7 ??) thats all he plays,, anyway, what i would like is a few suggestion of 5 stringers around the £1000 mark that a versatile, at the moment i like the idea of the following

stingray 5 string

ummm thats about it as you can see i'm a bit perplexed

i would like the option of maple fret board,, active pu's EQ

i really love the stingrays so any reviews advice when choosing a 5 will be good,,, my teacher tells me to try anything and everything , but i need a starting point,, any good buys??

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey !

You`re talking about versatility, well thats something you won`t get when you buy a Stingray.
    The Stingray has only got one Pickup, and for me thats not so versatile...

Maybe look into the Esh line (http://www.esh-basses.com) (http://www.thebassgalery.com)...

They are well crafted instruments with a great E.Q. that gives you a lot of versatility...

David

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    G&L makes some well-made and well-regarded instruments in the same price range as the Stingray 5. Check out the 2-pickup models for versatility. If you want to spend just a bit more, you could check out a Lakland 55-94 Standard or Classic for around $1200 used. They offer the ultimate in versatility, I think. They also feel very Stingray-ish.

4. I just recently bought a Modulus Genisis 5 and I must say that I love this bass..I tried a lot of 5's and this bass was head-n-shoulders above the rest(price was taken into account here also)check one out(the asymetrical neck is to die for) I don't think you'll be dissapointed.check out the Modulus website....sorry I don't know how to put up a link...I'm technologically challenged(can't spell either)..:(

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    if you want versatile you want a mia jazz bass deluxe. one of the most versatile basses out there i think. Stingray's are versatile and used in many different styles of music, but i think the j bass is the most versatile of them all. They have a 3 band active eq and also give you the option of a maple neck on the mia deluxe model. G&L's are also a nice bass to consider. Great tone and versitile. But then again its got Leo's name on it too. So that helps explain it. :)

6. i do agree that the j bass is a very versatile bass, i own one,, i've had it uprated with a badass two, dimarzio ultra j's, had the neck shimmed, levelled and fret dressed, i do like the idea of a stingray 5, i love the look of them,, i will however try every bass that comes near my paws,, i would just like a few pointers on which are worth looking at,,

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Fender, Spector, G&L, Warwick, MM Stingray, Tobias, Lackland, theres lots. Me I prefer the Fenders.

I like the MM's too, they have a really deep tone and they are very nice looking.

8. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've been looking around since I started this thread, and since I don't have any upright dealers nearby, I was considering the Strunals from Stringbass.com. I know at least one poster has advocated Stringbass.com....anyone else have any thoughts about getting an upright online from them? the Strunals? I emailed them for info, but haven't heard back since it's the weekend. If they live up to their service claims, I'm thinking it'd be fine. The thought of getting an upright shipped cross-country gives me the willies, though.

9. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Oops...sorry folks...posted a reply to the wrong thread. Should have been over in DB land....

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Versatility....
    A Stingray can be rewired into six variations, I think.
    Two humbuckers can be wired into twelve or sixteen variations.
    And you can add piezo and pre-amps.
    I'd say find a dualHB bass that suits you, soundwise and ergonomics wise. The best alternative will probably not be listed here....'cause your'e unique, that's all.

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The PLAYER makes the most difference to the sound. If you think something is a one-trick-pony, it is.

The Musicman Stingray 5 has knobs for treble mid and bass. The switch selects series/single/parallel wiring. The series selector gives the classic in your face sound. For those more mellow (dull) moments use another position and remove some treble. For a killer 'hifi' sound max (dime) the treble and bass and remove all mid. Also alter where you play (ie near the neck and near the bridge for mellow/tighter sound.

RE the original limit of a grand, this eliminates the Lakland/Spector and thru neck Warwicks.

The bolt on Warwicks are good (IMHO) and the Status Energy/Eclipse or whatever they call them this week (NB not Groove bass) are good. (IMHO)

When I bought my Stingray the runner up was a Zon Legacy Elite (which was a lot more) IMHO you cannot beat the MM5 espec if you keep another bass (mines a Thumb 4).

Tyburn take a couple of trips to Overwater and try EVERYTHING.

12. mmmmmmmmmmm, G&L!!!!! L-2500, thats what i want

13. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    If three conditions exist:
    (1) You like your J (which you do)
    (2) You prefer passive tone to active tone
    (3) You want maximum Fender tonal flexibility(that can even creep into P territory)

.....and all you want to do is add a good solid B string then I highly recommend the Fender Roscoe Beck as one of your auditions.

14. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    A Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5 string should be on your try out list.

Maple Fretboard and 3 band active EQ.

A nice bass for the money.

Happy Hunting,

Bones

15. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Maybe look for a used Sadowsky ;)

David

16. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Sadowski's are excellent but mega money in the UK.

17. just got back from lesson and my teaher was showing me slapped chords, etc on a TRBjp,, what a beast,, in amber,, didn't get a chance to play it,, but perhaps a 6 calls my names,, with that C??

i'll master the 4 first,, i'm starting to put money away in a bank account,, thats, very hard for me to touch( no cash card,, i'm gonna stop spending money on cd's,, got too many and cut back on non essentials,, we'll see what happens

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You can also check out Peavey's Millenium Plus 5 and Cirrus 5. Both are great sounding and playing basses and the cost is extremely low for the quality of instrument that you get.