5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by szego, Sep 1, 2004.

1. szego

Jul 26, 2004
    Hey, I now have a nice Ibanez SDGR 4 string bass but i was looking into some new gear and i was looking at the Tribute G&L L-2500, (or the real G&L L-2500 if i can get enough money) but either way, i was playing it unpluged and idk if it was just outa tune or whatnot but the Low B seemed really loose. when id play on the e my finger would hit the b and itd buzz cuz its so loose, I was just wondering if itd take a really long time to get used to , i dont want it to make my playing even worse...My bass teacher recommended "101 Bass Tips" By Gary Willis and id be able to get used to the 5 string, any suggestions?
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    B strings vary alot bass to bass and string type to string type. Some B's are floppy and some are tight. If you are just starting to venture into 5 strings, then I highly recommend that you read as many reviews as you can get your hands on before you buy anything.
  3. szego

Jul 26, 2004
    So basically if i bought that bass, and got a good set of round wound coil strings i could make the b tighter and still get that nice low sound out of it? Cuz thatd make the playing alot easier and make me less paranoid over it
  4. szego

Jul 26, 2004
    Is that right? if so, Name some nice 5 string basses that are like under 1000
  5. Peavey makes some pretty good mid-range 5-string basses. The old saying "Try before you buy" is a very good one and ought to be followed as much as possible. I don't know if you're aware of this, but you should be:any given 5-string will cost a bit more than a 4-string of the same caliber. That's not to scare you, that's just stating the facts. Congratulations on looking for a 5-string! I have one, too, and I wouldn't go back.

Davis Goertzen
  6. szego

Jul 26, 2004
    Is the transfer to a 5 from a 4 an easy one? It seems very hard to play the b let along touch it without letting it buzz against the neck. i just wanna know if ill be able to make a quick adjustment and be able to play clean notes on all strings
  7. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    If you want a good low B for a very good price, look no further than the Ibanez BTB405. These are the anti-Soundgears... huge neck, huge body, 35' scale, tons of versatility, TONS of low end growl. Very nice bass, I got mine for $700 Canadian, they usually go for about $500 US new.

8. szego

Jul 26, 2004
    looks nice to me, versatile eh? looks pretty cool too. How you find the B string? I need a pretty tight low B or else it just buzzes on every damn note
  9. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Lakland Skyline 5-strings are excellent. And if you're really serious about a tight B string, you might want to consider a Dingwall -- I think the entry model Afterburner (with a painted finish) runs around $1,000. You won't find a tighter B.