Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Apr 15, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    ok i know 34inch scale has a floopy b but what if its a string though

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Not all 34" scales have floppy B's. I have played several fivers with 34" scales that have had nice tight B strings. Personally, I prefer my Cirrus's 35" scale, but I have played a couple of 34"s that feel just as tight.

Did you mean string through body basses?? If so, I can't help you there. I had a Millenium Plus Peavey that was string through, but that was 35" scale. It was also a four string, so now come to think of it, why am I even talking about it? It has no significance in this thread.

Sorry, I guess I ain't much help here.
    Ryan

3. uhh.. who says that all 34" scales have a floppy B?

I think that depends on the setup not the scale length....

and I don´t think it would make lots of different if it was string through... but I don´t know though..

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have a Roscoe Beck and the B string is not floppy even with brige stringing.

5. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    sorry i messed it up ok i have a 34 scale 4 stringe i meesed up and didnt say that i want to make it b e d a tunning. with heaver strings. but i see alot of post saying you get a floppy b string like this i juat want know if i make it string thro if it will or wount be floppy i has a wasbrun dont think i spet it right xq 100 i think it my worst bass so i dont care about drilling and doing other things

6. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Ben, dude, BREATHE.

And your spetting is just fine.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think "spet" is "set" (I minored in Interpretation at Spelling Camp. Got my merit badge to prove it).

The deciding factor would be the overall bass, not just the scale length ... AND the way YOU play it.

8. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    on this bass i play some slap it a p all stock i play rock and need the b but not the g on this basses my other bass is for stuff i make like funk .so i going to change this bass to beda tunning but dont know if it will have floppy b i dont play hatd and i use fingers

9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Hmmm. Could be...but the "p" is way over on the other side of the keyboard; why add it? Perhaps it was a spasm of some sort.

I has tried Heaver strings on my wasbrun tho (XQ-400), and found them somewhat floopy as well.

I just like saying, "floopy."

Floopy, floopy, floopy.

10. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    This is good advice and the Cirrus is a good choice if you want a 35" scale.

Some 35" scale basses also have floppy feeling B strings. One reason is that they sometimes lengthen the neck but do not make it more rigid so any increase in string tension is offset by virtue of an incorrect neck design.

Better just go play some at the music store and see how they feel.

11. its not a good idea to generalize because not all basses are the same. so if someone tells you that a certain type of bass has a floppy b, its more than likely hearsay based on one or two people who didn't know how to set their basses up properly. i know for a fact that many stores have poorly set-uo basses on their racks/walls and what happens is some green thumb will go and try one of thes and then come to the conclusion that all basses of that make and model have the same problem.

by the way, it would be a lot easier to read your posts if you used the "Shift" key when appropriate.

12. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I had a girlfriend that had a sloppy g string ! but seriously I have a warwick corvette lefthanded and
    use a 120 for a b string and its not sloppy at all , its all in the setup ! your bass needs to be set up for the type and gauge of strings you use. I use light strings and my bass is set up for light strings if I change gauge my intonation will change also, you will have sloppy strings and buzzing,

13. I have a Yamaha BB5000 5 string with a 34" scale and it plays fine, nice and tight with either a 130 or 125 B. It's all in the setup.
    Try reading your writing before you send it. Does it make sense to you?

14. rubber chicken

rubber chicken Guest

Apr 7, 2001
    colorado
    learn to spell, ben

haha, just kidding

15. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    I have owned several fives, and I can honestly say I have not had a "floppy" B. What I HAVE experienced, however, is a B string that didn't feel right compared to the other 4. Mostly, they felt like clotheslines. It's like having a 4 string......with that "other" string on there.......if you know what I mean. The cure for me? Light strings. Everly Sessions, 40-60-80-100-120. The B feels like a perfect match to the rest of the set AND it sounds loud and punchy, like a B string should.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Man, those sloppy G strings can be pretty exciting, depending on who they're on!

17. so does that mean the w/ a 35" scale, the B-string will be nice and tight?...my SR-506 has a 35" scale. The B string is almost exactly as tight as the E string.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Correction, Rafteman, the SR 506 has a 34" scale, not 35".

19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    No, I didn't say that EVERY 35" scale bass will have a nice tight B string. I said that my 35" scale Cirrus 5 has a tight B. (but most all 35" scale fivers that I have played have good B strings)

My main point was that I have played several 34" scale fives and a couple of sixes that have had tight B strings that hold their own right along with the 35" scale basses. (example: I have played several Warwick fives, and I would rate the B string on them right up there with the one on my Cirrus 5)

There are a lot of other variable that have an effect on the B string than just scale length.

Ryan