5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Jan 9, 2006.

1. I have a Sadowsky Metro 4 string,I want a 5 string. I play at church,we play praise and worship music and a little black gospel. I will sell the Sadowsky,what is a good bass for the type of music we play?
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Do you not like the sound from the Metro? If you do, why not get a Metro 5 string?
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What is your budget? What kind of amp do you use? What don't you like about the Metro?
  4. My budget is 1800.00,if i sale my metro. I like my metro,I just want a 5 string. I think I need it for what we play at church.
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I don't have any experiences with Sadowsky's at this time, but seeing as you like your Metro 4 string, I bet you'd be happy with a 5-string Metro.
  6. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    The trick is finding one that kills it like his 4 does. . . I've played his 4 and it has one of the nicest tones around. :bassist:
  7. I've found the tones of the Sadowsky's (Metro or NYC) to be very consistent across basses, and from 4 string to 5 string. The Sadowsky B is very nice... although not that huge B string sound of a Roscoe, Fodera, MTD sort of thing. However, it seems that selling the 4 and getting the 5 Metro might be the way to go IMO.
  8. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I'd recommend a 5-string for Church! We do a wide range of stuff - hymns to gospel to Hillssongs.....

I really like my Sadowsky 5-24 in that setting, but I like my:
    Brase 5, 535 and 55-94 too! VBG!

Really, if you like the Sadowsky sound, get one of the 5's. Life is too short to have bad basses!

Dan K.
  9. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Hey Ken,

Good to know... I suspected they would be, Roger is known for the quality of his work so I agree that he can't go wrong with another Metro if he digs that sound.
  10. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    That's a nice collection of basses!

I couldn't agree more :D
  11. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Lakland 5502
    Yamaha BB anything
    Ernie Ball MM5

All 3 of these basses can be had for about 2k combined! (some used)
    I used to think that boutique stuff,,,, like my old Fbass, Sadowsky, Zon etc... would make me sound better and have the best B strings.

MAN was I worong! The B strings on the cheaper models listed above are way more consistent than the pricey stuff IME.

The Lakland 5502 is exact same as the US 5594 model IMO. The B string will floor you, and the sound is the same! Even bass player magazine agreed.

Yamaha BB's are amazing for the price. Don't scoff at Yamaha. SO many great players use them for great reasons.They have great B strings for the most part. My BBN5A has a better B than my Fbass did.

Ernie Ball MM5's are THE most consistent basses out of the box period. I have never played one that sounded different than the next. The B string is very present in the mix, and they are a studio standard for many many many recordings.

Save you money and go with one of the above.
  12. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Yeah, my wife spoils me badly! But I like it that way (and spoil her equally!) BTW - she paid for half of the Ken Lawrence Brase and bought me the Lakland as a surprise!

Unfortunatly for two other guys, her sisters are NOTHING like her!

Dan K.
  13. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    check my teachers website....

he can play the heck out of gospel.
    Click on the "groove samples" and "free bass loops"..
    Everything on there is a Yamaha BBN5A