Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cody_Westby, Dec 8, 2001.

1. What's a very versatile 5-string under $1000? I need a general idea so I know what to look for and try out.

2. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    G&L L-2500 very versitle should come in about a grand

3. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    G&L 2500
    FENDER Roscoe Beck V
    HAMER 2TEK CruiseBass 5
    Fender American Deluxe Precision 5
    Pedulla Rapture Bass J2 or PJ
    Mike Lull P5(PJ)
    Stingray 5 with PIEZO

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    A Mike Lull P5 and MM 5 w/ piezos for UNDER a grand?! WHERE?!!!

5. How versatile is an MTD kingston? I'm pretty much going to be playing every style I can. And where would I go about getting a G&L?

6. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Stingray 5 Piezo equipped under a grand? I got ripped off!

7. what kind of string spacing do you like, tight or wide?
    tight;
    I'd go with a Dean edge select or improv 5
    or maybe a czech spector
    wide;
    ibanez BTB
    or MTD kingston

8. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I have to agree with Tum. I recently broke down and purchased a brand new Ray 5 w/piezo, fretless & Vintage sunburst finish. I have seen almost the same exact bass I paid $1600.00 for @ $1000.00 used. That makes my stomach turn:( . I shopped for close to a year. If I had to do it over again I think I would buy a used Lakeland for that kind of money. Oh by the way I have probably purchased around 20 basses used and I don't recall taking a bath on any of them when I sold them. But if you are determined to purchase a brand new bass good luck to you and do all the reseach you can. But thinking about it I still have the 1978 vintage sunburst ray I bought brand new for $400.00 (in 1978...DUH).

9. used or maybe even new (depends on your bargaining capabilities) peavey cirrus.

10. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    the MTD Kingston is a great 5-string, and is waaaaaay under your price range - you could probably go for something a bit "better" with your kind of cash, providing you know where to look.
    the only problem with MTD is their stockage range - at least in Australia. i can't buy one over here :(

11. Ibanez EDC
    Ibanez BTB

they're both VERY (!) good basses < $600, so you'll have $ 400 to spend on other goodies :D

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'd suggest the ibanez ATk too. different from the more versatile BTB but good too for that price!

13. How about an EDB? I tried an EBD600 at GC and I really liked it! Easy to play, great tone, real funky bass (pretty cool-looking too). I would of course recommend the BTB also.

i tried a Peavey Cirrus bass, and it kicked soo much ass! Try one!

14. The Cirrus is more than a grand. The Lakland, Brian Moore and Dean basses i suggested are superior in sound and construction to the Ibanez and Yamaha.

15. DOnt get the idea that i am Ibanez bashing cos I happent to like EDCand BTB models.

Do you have an endorsement deal or something? You seem to be doing an awful lot of Ibanez promotion here at the moment!;)

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Fender MIM Dlx Active Jazz or the American Series is a good bass for well under a grand, very very versatile, Ive used them in rock, punk, country, top-40, pop, and metal genres

17. also try Yamaha's and Bass Collection, both way in at about £500-£700, for top of the range's. The pickups are perfectly good, but u could replace them fer about £100 and have an amazing bass. My bass collection has an Active/passive switch to......versatility.

just my 2 pennies (english bastard that i am :)

*Si*

18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Bass Collection, is there a website for this brand?

19. C'era, ma adesso non! OK, OK, don't kill me, as in the other topic on Bass Collection, I've said, there was an official site of their distribution and management(I think) firm nanyoboeki but the firm had some problems and there isn't a web page now AFAIK..