Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by bigwal, Dec 12, 2001.

1. bigwal

bigwal

Dec 12, 2001
    worksop england
    does the fifth string of a bass start on b im a new player and cant find any info on this are there any tabs for 5 string:

2. Yes, the "standard" (if there is such a thing) tuning for a five string is BEADG, although there are some who will use EADGC instead, putting the fifth string on the "high" side instead of the low side of the classic four.

There are TABs for five string floating around. What I notice on transcriptions is that if the original artist played it on a five the TAB will be for a five.

--Ed

3. i use EADGC tuning....well, its not so much a tuning...its a 'stringing' :)
    i found that i stumbled over the B string, and i decided that i didn't get anything from a low B that i couldn't get from detuning.
    Now i got my 5, i might string my 4 BEAD, seems a resonable compromise methinks! :)

*Si*

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Most B strings have a low B. The other 4 strigs are like a standard 4 string, E,A,D,G. Some great players like Matt Garrison use a high C as their 5th string. They tune E,A,D,G,C.

It comes down to what role your bass plays in your ensemble. If you must double keyboard parts a low B is necessary. My friend Andy Cichon (Shania Twain, Billy Joel) would prefer to play a 4 string, but he needs to double keyboard parts that are on the record (at least with Shania), therefore he uses the 5 string, tuned B,E,A,D,G.

Matt Garrison, on the other hand is much more of a solist, creating wonderfully technical and melodic lines. For him, the 5 string with the high C is more appropraite.

You cannot just change the strings from a low B bass to a high C or for that matter tune up the bass. It definitly takes a neck adjustment and possibly a new nut or bridge saddles (depending on the bass).

Mike