Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by no_poetic_devic, Dec 16, 2002.

1. I'm looking into buying a new bass.
    I've been playing 4-string since I started playing bass (3 years ago) and now i think i want to buy a 5 string or 6 string.
    I want one that has a good poppy noise (good for slapping) and also good for playing jazz.

You guys know your basses so maybe you could help me.

It would also be appreciated if you could give me a good music stor in which to buy basses at a reaonsable price (preferably in Canada)

Thanks

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

How much are you looking to spend?

3. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Depending on how much you are willing to spend I would go ahead and get a 6 string.

4. JMBass

JMBass

Nov 27, 2002
    Portugal
    I play with a BB605. It's not as good as the BB2005, but it sounds great and has a good slap!

5. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I'd go with a six.

As for what bass, it depends on what you're willing to pay, what options you want, etc. etc. It's easier to help once some specifics have been laid out.

6. I'm willing to pay about $1000 or so.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    steve's music in toronto had a couple of nice instruments the last time i was there, about a month ago or so. you might want to check out there. just avoid the old fartknocker who seems to be in charge, he's a total jackass.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Well said. I don't like the tone of the high C, period.

Other reasons why I will remain at wide five and not move to six or more: I don't want more strings to damp; string spacing on 6+ is too narrow for me (or fretboard too wide).

9. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Take a minute to check the Carvin 5's. You can get a really nice one built with your options (including a regular or wider asym neck) for under $1000. The quality of their workmanship and woods used is absolutely top notch.

Yes, I have a Carvin 6 string, but I agree that in most of my "band" situations (heavy, agressive band), I don't use the high C much if at all, but for my solo jazzy stuff, I use the high C quite a bit, but mostly for chords. I do find the string spacing a little tight for slapping (as compared to my `71 p-bass) but it did not take me very long to adapt to it.

My next bass will most likely be a Carvin LB75 with the wider asym neck and swamp ash body, among other goodes (like a quilted top, etc.).

My only (and fairly common) complaint with my LB76 is the J-style pickups, which are right at the limits of picking up the outside low B and high C string. I am going to solve it by installing a set of bartolini xxm56x soapbars. However, this will involve my having to take a router to the bass (not to worry, I have years of luthier experience) You would not have this problem on a 5'er.

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Nice Avatar John... Ain't nothing like an angry Santa with a mohawk! :D ;)

Peace (and goodwill toward men & women),

- Frank.

11. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Heh, I tend to think the B gets in the way more when slapping than the C does. I don't see any problem with the pop on the C.