5 string???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass__player01, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Hi everybody...

i've started playing bass this christmas... I bough/received a 5 string, Godin freeway 5:
    but i'm asking myself one thing...

is it better to learn on a 5 string or on a standard 4 string???

and on which instrument have you learn??

thank you...
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It doesn't make any difference, assuming your hands aren't so small that the width of the 5-string fretboard/scale isn't a physical problem for you.

One isn't more difficult than the other, IME, (actually, I found the 5-string easier because it allowed me to play more "horizontally" across the fretboard rather than "vertically" up the board, as with a 4-string). After all, a 5-string only has 5 more notes than a 4 string (if both are tuned the same).

IME, 5-strings are a little more difficult to learn slap technique on because the B string tends to get in the way, but you should adjust soon enough with practice.

Nice bass, especially for a beginner!
  3. I can't think of a disadvantage for starting on 5 string other than getting crap from your friends. I started on 5 string a few months a go and I've had no problems. I think five string has a lot of advantages for playing things, it helps me a lot with low notes for blues songs and cello suites.
  4. yeah... i've been playing for a week now and i don't seem to have any problem....

i don't use the B string a lot for now but i'm sure it'll get usefull someday :)
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    guitar players start with 6 strings. i see no disadvantage to starting out with 5 strings. if anything at all, you will have the advantage of not having to adjust to a B string. it will have always been there for you. have fun....and happy bassing
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It's fine to start out on a 5 string, as long as it's a ZON. The reason that ZON basses easily outdistance the competition is because of their necks, which are made of graphite and are therefore perfect in every way, even allowing string heights as low as .0000000000005342 mm without buzzing. Huh? Huh? How do you like THEM apples? You could never do that on a P bass, that's for sure. That's why I own 52 ZON basses.

In short, get a ZON. Playing them gives you a big fat RUSH. :)
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Did I miss a meeting? Or maybe a post?
  8. 52 Zon basses? Show a pic of them all together for me to believe it.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'll never tell. ;)