Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowtones, Dec 10, 2000.

1. alright i wanna get a new bass.. i want to get a 5-string, and i wanna know what bass is the best for like $300? i've heard a lot of bad stuff about ibanez's (at least the cheap ones) and washburn's are too expensive. (must note: i'm only 13)

2. for $300 probably the best choice would be to look in the "used" section... but not too used though...

threre aren´t alot of good 5 strings in this price area... (I think)..

anyway.. good luck... (I love my Yamaha BB G5 but that´s more than #300 though :) )

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think Fender makes a Squier 5-string P-bass. You might try a few of those.

By the way, ever notice how the Brits consider a collective, like a company name (Fender, Nikon, etc.), as a plural noun? For instance, they would say, "Fender make a Squier 5-string P-bass."

4. In GuitarCenter the other day and played a Squire 5 string. They had two, both with very nice finishes. One however was
    un-playable, the neck had such a bow I doubt it could be adjusted out. The second was set up pretty well and didn't feel as cheap as I thought it would.
    I have not run across a lot of used, cheap, 5ers yet. But they will probably start popping up as more young players decide it is not for them. And probably not a lot of cheapies out there to begin with.
    Ebay does have them pop up every now and then.

5. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA