1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowtones, Dec 10, 2000.

1. alright i wanna get a new bass.. i want to get a 5-string, and i wanna know what bass is the best for like $300? i've heard a lot of bad stuff about ibanez's (at least the cheap ones) and washburn's are too expensive. (must note: i'm only 13)

2. for $300 probably the best choice would be to look in the "used" section... but not too used though...

threre aren´t alot of good 5 strings in this price area... (I think)..

anyway.. good luck... (I love my Yamaha BB G5 but that´s more than #300 though :) )

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think Fender makes a Squier 5-string P-bass. You might try a few of those.

By the way, ever notice how the Brits consider a collective, like a company name (Fender, Nikon, etc.), as a plural noun? For instance, they would say, "Fender make a Squier 5-string P-bass."

4. In GuitarCenter the other day and played a Squire 5 string. They had two, both with very nice finishes. One however was
    un-playable, the neck had such a bow I doubt it could be adjusted out. The second was set up pretty well and didn't feel as cheap as I thought it would.
    I have not run across a lot of used, cheap, 5ers yet. But they will probably start popping up as more young players decide it is not for them. And probably not a lot of cheapies out there to begin with.
    Ebay does have them pop up every now and then.

5. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA