Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-stringers and active elecs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darrelpr, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    With a few exceptions, most 5-string basses are equipped with active electronics. Is this out of necessity or is it simply to add additional tonal flexibility? Or to put it another way, is there something in the design physics of a 5-string that requires active elecs?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    they probably do it to make the low b a little easier to handle. Some can seem floppy and lifeless, so kick up the bass. Some are tight and some are huge. Keep a lid on it the same way. Could be also that there is just more demand for electronics among 5 strings. Who knows?

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Another reason is that the majority of the people who buy 5 string basses tend to be more serious about the bass than the percentage of people who buy 4. There are practically no n00bs who play 5 strings; thus, the majority of people who play them are looking for quality, know how to find it, and are willing to spend a few extra bucks in order to get it.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    i dont agree, i know many people who are very serious about bass and only play four strings.

i only have a four string presently, does that make me less serious about bass than your average five stringer?