5 stringers last minute advice...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arther daily, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Within the next two weeks I'll b buying my first 5 string bass.

My current bass is a 4 string Stingray. I love the sound the playability and (essential) the look, but I potentially want a wider range of sounds from my next bass.

I've pretty much settled on a G&L L2500... but I'm after some last minute advice/ suggestions/ convincing before I walk into the shop brandishing my card!

My maximum price is £1300, that's $1850.

Whatcha reckon?
  2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Assuming you tried everything else available and you feel satisfied, your call bud.

A tip though, with a 5 string be careful. I've been a 5-er for years. However, this weekend's practice, the guitarist was asking me about chord selection. I kept telling him "I'm playing a C there" he tried every variation on C and F and just about everything else. Until, "OOOPS...I mean G not C. Sorry everyone."
  3. I kept telling him "I'm playing a C there" he tried every variation on C and F and just about everything else. Until, "OOOPS...I mean G not C. Sorry everyone."

>>>>Yeah, I've been anticipating that... I'm bad enough already with 4 strings...
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, if you have £1300 to spend there are a lot of options and I would make the most of them; by going into every large bass shop and playing every bass I can get my hands on.

The Bass Centre in London postively encourage this anyway and they always have a huge selection of 5-strings that you could get for around this price.

I bought an absolutely superb yamaha TRB6P for about £1300 from them - through neck, ebony fingerboard, piezo pickups in the bridge etc.

My advice would be to look for the used bargains in a reputable shop like the Bass Centre, who guarantee all their basses - new or used. So I have had minor niggles with various basses I bought there and they have fixed all of them for free and while I waited - and tried out more basses!!

So if we're talking 5 strings in this range - I have seen Warwicks, Wals, Tune, Alembic, Yamaha, and many others. You could get a Fender Roscoe Beck which is one the best 5s I've ever played. But anyway - "used", you get much more bass for your money - last time I was there I was very tempted by a used Ken Smith 5-string for about £2,000!
  5. That's where I'll be on Saturday dude, Basscentre London!

I am gonna try practically every 5 stringer in the shop... should be a nice day out!
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a G&L L-2500. I think very highly of it. I bought it used and in mint condition for about a third of what you are going to pay for your new one in England. Of course I live in the U.S.

I would seriously consider a used instrument. It isn't like a car. I was in a music store the other day and saw a Stringray 5 for $849. I was freaking. I asked the sales person why it was so cheap. He response, "it's used." I sure couldn't tell.

I run across used intruments all the time that have seen very little play and/or have been very well maintained. Once you play it for a couple of hours, you nor anyone else wil be able to tell if it was bought new or used.

You get soooo much more for your hard-earned money.

Lastly, if you do go with a L-2500, you will enjoy the bass. They are wonderful.

7. I am undoubtedly considering used, no probs... I ususally check the freeads etc regularly anyway...

I'm basically going to go up there this weekend and choose one, then pick it up next weekend!
    - I can hardly wait... ooh exiting!

They're getting an L2500 (Sunburst with Rosewood board) in for me... but I shant leave the shop till I've tried everything in my price range.

Apparently, Ernie Ball make a Stingray 5 Namm special edition in silver with the graphite neck... nice!
    I'm kind of into the idea of a graphite neck, the neck on my Stringray 4 seems to change slightly with the weather. Just depends how it plays I suppose...
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You might want to try a Fender Roscoe Beck V. Also, there are some very nice used Lakland 55-94s out there in that price range. Check Bass NW and Bass Central. If you got one of those, you'd never go back to sheep.
  9. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I recently tried a L-2500 and it was awsome. If I had the money I would probably buy it.
  10. I'll try the Roscoe Beck... and lakland if there are any there... cheers!

I must admit I always liked the look of lakland basses...

I'm in the UK and to be honest I can't be bothered with the hassle of buying from the US, I considered it, but it'll be a pain in comparison to a 20 minute journey to London!

This is a piccy of the Ray Namm special, only in 4 string tho... a lovely bass.
  11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    OOPS....nope, the NAMM Stingray was a limited edition 4 string only. They made 50 of them for the 100th anniversary of NAMM, and they're all sold already.

If you're into the idea of a graphite necked 5 though, there are several options. You could look for a used Zon (like Dirty Road Cola and myself have done) or a used Modulus (where's Dark Mazda at, I believe he's trying to sell a used Q5 for ~$1000 USD), and of course being in Merrie Olde England, there is Status, who make an excellent instrument as well.

Munji, good to see you made it home safe, hope your visit to the land that Mickey built was enjoyable!
  12. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    yup.. i am selling my Modulus Q5 for $1000 :)
  13. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I bought GnL 2500 for US 1,000, here 6 months ago, I used it for few times and I put it back in the case, never used it again, it is practically new. Anyone want it? Red burst colour. I just see bit dull on the machine head tuners and the strings, perhaps of oxidation in the case. Finish is 100 pct perfect.
  14. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have a Roscoe Beck 5 and it sounds great. I highly
    recommend it. Also the Musicman Stingray 5 is a great choice. I have not played the GL 2500 but I played a GL-2000 today and it was very nice.
  15. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Dude id take a look at the modulus the guy above has for sell! Thats a good bass for the money! Id also look into a american bolt on 5 from spector! But it will take a few weeks to get it!
  16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Status, who made the graphite necks for the NAMM Stingrays, make a replacement neck for a Stingray 5. Find one used and buy a Status neck. I'd love to get a Warmoth Jazz body with a soapbar-p-woofer pickup (bridge-mid-neck) and a Status replacement neck. That'd be great. Or just a Stingray 5 with a Status neck...mmm...
  17. DarkMazda: I'll go away and check out the Modulus Q5 and get back to you.

All recommendations gratefullly received...

How about the Fender US deluxe basses... graphite reinforced neck etc... Anyone tried these, how are they? - I should imagine a 5 string precision is bloody heavy/ chunky?
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They do have a Roscoe Beck V - well they did last time I was there, that's why I mentioned it in my post. Make sure you look at the wall at the back - sort of diagonally opposite the door where you come in - furthest away. This is where they put the used bargains and I have missed these a few time! So the stuff they want to sell is standing up on displays in the middle and front of the shop, but I have often found the best bargains to be on the rear wall, lurking in the shadows. ;)

Do try the Laklands - but forget it, for £1300 !! :(
    A 5 string will cost you nearer £3,000 and even a four will be over £2,000 - IMO they are vastly over-priced in the UK - very good basses; but no way are they worth more than twice the price of an RB5. :rolleyes:

If we are talking about Fender Deluxe Vs, then the Roscoe Beck blows them all away - it is so much better in every respect. They can be good - although those I've tried in the UK have been "variable".

I forgot to mention Status (thanks Angus) - the Bass Centre usually have quite few of these and they are very good value, being made in the UK - you can get a very good 5-string. I have tried a few and loved the way they played and felt, but couldn't quite get on with the "sound" of graphite - I prefer all wood, preferably maple, basses.

Anyway - the staff are very friendly and helpful, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it -although Saturday can be busy - I usually try to go along mid-week.
  19. Cool, cheers.

Yeah, I had a feeling Saturday would be busiest. I just got back from hols so I cant make a mid-week trip, cause i cant get time off work. Oh well, I'll get up there early then - i'll be hammering on the door at five past 9 in the morning!

Graphite: this is the thing... a mate of mine used to have a graphite necked Washburn-Status headless bass...(Yuck!) it played really nice, but the sound was very, very bright... not really my cup of tea either. I much prefer the maple neck too, but the idea of the neck never changing is great - s'why I asked about the Fenders.
    Having said that I'm not a low action person anyway, so it's not that much of an issue I suppose?

I shall put a deposit on whatever I choose (if I do) on Saturday and let y'all know on Monday.