Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afroman, Jan 20, 2001.

1. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Guys, tell me which would be the best choice for my first 5-string bass.

1. Spector NS2000/Q5 ($560)
    2. Yamaha BBG5S ($469)
    3. Fender Jazz Deluxe V (about $500,I think)
    4. Tobias Toby Pro 5 ($600)
    5. DeArmond Pilot 5-string ($360)

As if it were that simple.

Thanks in advance...
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Go to a guitar store, try out all the five strings they have there, and buy the one you like the most. I'm sorry I can't be of more help but I don't know much about the basses you listed.
  3. Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Another one to consider, is to save your money and buy a slightly higher price model.

Right now I'm thinking my first 5-string is gonna be a G&L L-2500 when I save up some more cash.
  4. As always, only you can decide exactly which is for you. Play everything that is of interest to you, as well as whats in your price range... and maybe sleep on it and go do it all over again then if your lucky, make the decision!

good luck!
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You can do way better buying used. Your budget seems to be $5-600. If you can stretch by $100 you can get into something way better.

I have bought three used five strings (still own two of these), a Fender AmDlx 5, a G&L L-2500 and a Reverend Rumblefish 5L. Prices were $650, $700 and $650 respectively and that included hard cases (all were bought through ads on the net, BTW). Any of these would smoke the basses you're looking at.
  6. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Don't overlook the Cort Curbow 5 string. I have the 6 string and it's great. The five's weakness is probably the mitymite electronics, but it's still a good deal.
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    of all your choices I like the Fender the best...I played the brands you mentioned and would up going with the fender, its b string is a lil on the loose side you adapt to it rather quickly....i think its got the best tone and most bottom end out of the bass's you are looking at.
  8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    In that price range, definitely check out the Rumblefish 5L. IMO, the best 5 out there in that range. Keep your mind open until you hear it and play it though...don't let the alternative construction fool you into thinking it's just another Dano knock-off.