1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 stringers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tom_Hamilton_fan, Apr 5, 2001.

1. i know that 5 string basses are tuned B,E,A,D,G, and 4 strings are E,A,D,G. what i want to know is, do u drop d tune to get a "make-shift" 5 string? therfore the E becomes a B?

2. Ummm...do you mean tuning a 4 string to B-A-D-G? Or B-E-A-D? Or am I completely off the mark here? :p

3. If you want to do B A D G then tune your E to a B. Drop D tuning is just that Drop D ( I assume, don't hurt me JT puuhleeesee).

To tune the E to a B, place a finger on the 2nd fret of the A string and tune the E to that I think....

Merls

See i have a 5 string and have forgotten what it was like to tune to a B on a four.

Merls

4. If you are asking about tuning the E down to B, it won't work with your existing E string- it will get too loose and floppy and you'll probably not get much of any sound but a thud out of it.
    To tune a 4 B-E-A-D, you'll need to get a B string and then move the other 3 up a notch.
    I think that is what you are asking.
    Maybe not.

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Tuning the E string to B would not provide a workable solution. As F5 suggests tune a 4 string with the BEAD from a 5 string set. When I went 5 string ( and my head became 5 string) I tried tuning my '75 P with BEAD and I now use my BEAD P alternatively with my Roscoe Beck 5. I may never use EADG tuning again. I use the B a lot more than the G and moving up the neck allows the same range.b

6. i just wanna know how i can play linkin park. the guy uses a 5 string, but i dont have one. i have 4. how do i alter my bass to play what he plays?

7. Linkin Park! pphhftt, is it really worth it? In my case, when i started a death metal band (real metal! not this punk ass stuff j/k! muhahahaha), the songs sound so much fatter with the B. If its just a case of playing a few songs, then its not worth it. I tuned my old 4 down once, and as stated it goes all flubbery. its still B, but its a really bad B.

Merls.

So you like Limp Bizkit and KoRn too heh? lol

8. Drop D tuning is just tuning the E string, nothing else down to a D. (D/A/D/G)

If you want the lower notes of a 5-string, just tune your bass B/E/A/D. dont just tune your E-string down to a B. I did that once, and the B sounded like shxt, and it was VERY floppy. Suprisingly, the A (now E) didn't sound too bad, but I'd still recommend getting a 5-string set and tuning it like a 5-string and throw away the G-string or save it or give it to your girlfriend or something:D

In the video for that Linkin' Park MTV song (cant remember the name), the guy plays a 4 string, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he uses drop D tuning and with all the strings tuned down half a step (Db/Ab/Db/Gb).