5-Strings/12" cabs??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boondog Reisbol, Feb 23, 2004.

1. I was excited to see TM Stevens & Doug Wimbish (Living Colour) perform this past weekend. Most of the songs were played w/4-stringers & both players rigs (1x12+4x10 SVT & 1x12+4x10 Trace) sounded great. However, when these guys took out their 5's (? & Spectors), the low B's sounded errr . . .horrible (much too loose). I always favored 4-strings & 4x10's and this gig confirmed that for me. I know other factors may have contributed to the poor sound & I've heard some decent low B's before, although never "live" - only stuff recorded in studio (in my opinion). Anyway, I was hoping for other opinions/comments cuz the hipshot on my Sterling sucks even worse & I was thinking of getting a 5 . . . "was".
  2. i play 5 strings exclusivly, and i play a lot of reggae/dub stuff (ie. LOTS of bass). i have a 2x12 cab (a glock) and it just laps up the bass, no probs at all.

if you find a bass that has a solid B (which shouldn't be hard), then you'll be fine.

go on.

get a 5.

you know you want to.

P.S. are you sure the rigs were 1x12 and 4x10's? sounds like a wierd combination.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Unless you were standing next to the bass amps on stage most of what you heard was through the PA anyway. So don't freak out about whether their amps could handle the B string.

There is a HUGE difference between recorded and live bass sound. In many live venues the desire to get loud, clean sounding lows is thwarted by the acoustics.
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I play 5 through 10's and 12's all day long with no problems...
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That may be a problem of the bass's setup and the strings, too. It is very hard to find a good B. Good 4-string sets are much more easy to find, and even when you find a set with good E, A, D, G and C strings, the B might still be bad - and in most cases, it is. I am still looking for a B that is tight and clear enough...
  6. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Good bass cabs are hard to find. My old Avatar 2x12 could handle the low B... but not particularly well. Right now I'm using an Acme Low B-2 and it works great for all the low stuff.
  7. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Repeat after me Roscoe, Roscoe, Roscoe. :D

Seriously. Roscoes have killer B strings. You should check one out before blowing off a whole class of basses.
  8. Oops.
    Correction: Stevens & Wimbish were going through a 1x15 or 1x18 on the bottom & 4x10 on top, not a 1x12 bottom (that would look kinda silly).

Not knocking all fivers, just saying I have yet to hear a nice, tight, well defined B in a "live" setting. I'm probably wrong & have not listened to a large enough sample but even some of my local 5/6-string bretheren think their low-b is the titz when, honestly, they sound real sloppy IMO. I'm not giving up tho. Hoping I can muster good b-tone w/aMM5 thru an Eden 4x10. Appreciate the feedback.
  9. How about a Dingwall Afterburner? Should be a pretty tight and musical B string.

10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I used a 5 string (tuned ADGCF no less) through a 2x12 cab and it was in no way lacking, even compared to my Eden 410XLT and SWR Big Ben. I think it's a matter of the instrument that you heard.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    One thing that helps a LOT with a 5 string is getting away from this need for massive bass boosts and instead working with the midrange EQ to bring out the upper harmonics of the notes.

The louder you play, the less really deep bass you need to have anyway.
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I play 5's through 4x10's and personally think they sound great. Both my basses have very good low Bstrings, which probably helps. And I will also second what brianrost said, about not boosting the bass. In fact, I have mine turned down quite a bit on my amp to get away from too much low end rumble through the 18's on our PA, depending on the venue we are playing in.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Brian said. My favorite gigging cab won't even reproduce the fundamentals of the lowest notes on my fivers, but because I prefer to bring out their upper harmonics (also commonly referred to as "punch" or "growl"), those lowest notes come through just fine onstage.