Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 strings and a budget ($450)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by King David, Aug 6, 2002.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I would like to own a 5 string. I have an upgraded MIM Fender Jazz that I love.

I am looking at possibly spending around $450.

I thought about just buying a MIM Fender Jazz V, but I am not real sure of the low B on this dude.

I would like a low B to be really tight and not sloppy. I was wondering if the reinforced neck (like graphite or steel) makes the big difference.

Does anybody have any suggestions.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There is but one answer to this quest:

MTD Kingston 5. Best B under 1000, and well over as well. Passive electronics (though powerfull), easy to play, great sound, and fit your bill.

Do a search, on them, and I think you'll find that it's a general consensus that you can't do much better than this bass.

Mine, with a custom pickgaurd, they come standard with either a white or black perloid type. Sorry about the quality, it was just a friend snapping pics. And the color is actually a deep wine red, not that orangey metallic color you see in the pic. But you'll get the idea.

4. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I'll sell you mine, for $300 or best offer if you want. The B string is suprisingly tight, IMO the Fender's B sounds better than my other bass' B. Let PM or email me if you're interested.

5. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Those MTD basses were a lot cheaper than I thought. That gives me some hope. Are all the 5 string models on a 35" scale?

6. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    If you're talking about the Korean made ones (Kingston and Heir) yes.

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    My recommendation is the - da, da da dah! - MTD Kingston 5. And Brendan, I luv that black pickguard. I'm going to have a tortoise shell cut for me someday.

8. PM gard and he can hook you up with an MTD kingston 5 :)