5 strings and fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jappie, Oct 28, 2002.

1. i have bought a new fretless bass and he has also 5 strings and i want to know if some one hasgot some hints for me:confused: :eek:
  2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    hints? as in technique?

If so, posting in "Technique" Forum would be a better idea...

Which bass did u get? :)

3. i've got a cort curbow bass
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    nice nice...

if you can though, ask any "Hints on TEchnique" over at the Technique Forums :)

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Play it like your 4 but remember you have a "B" string.

Oh, make sure you play in tune.
  6. i knwo how to play 5 strings but i don;t know how to play clear and not when ai play a note that is is always falsh
  7. Don't hit the B too hard. Even the best low Bs can get nasty-sounding on a fretless fingerboard with low action. A lot of guys prefer tuning fretless five-strings EADGC for that reason.
  8. In addition to picking lighter on the low B string (even on a fretted bass), you may get a clearer pitch focus by picking slightly to a lot further toward the bridge on that string. I own fretlesses and fretted basses with varying string types and gauges and all of them sound clearer when picked lighter and further "aft" on the low B.
  9. Symphony X

Symphony X Guest

Oct 28, 2002
    I advise for whatever you play w/ (finger or pick) you hit that low B with care, unless you wanna play sloppy (like Fieldy). Also, when you play it, hitting it closer to the bridge (like suggested) is a very good idea, because you can hit it harder w/o worrying of making it sound muddy instead of a clean B. Just use care and you will be in good shape :)
  10. Thnx but that's not realyt my problem i want to know to play not out of tune but i cannot find the word in english but that is wat i mean
  11. The way to play in tune is to place each finger so it contacts the fretboard exactly where the fret would be.

The best way to practice this is on your fretted bass, if you still have one. You want to practice playing so each one your fingers touches a fret when fretting the notes. If you do this, you'll automatically have good intonation on your fretless.

Good Luck,

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I agree with this but would generalize the advice for all players all basses all strings, not just the B string on a 5 string fretless.
    I don't really agree. As a matter of fact this is the first time I've ever read about someone tuning a 5 string fretless EADGC for this reason.

All the notes on my low "B" sound awesome on my modest Dean Edge 5 fretless and I use them all the time.

Maybe it's a technique thing - I play soft all the time on every string not just the B.
  13. The placing of your finger on a fret for practice is right on. Another thing to try with fretless is to choose easily heard pitch intervals, such as thirds, fifths, octaves (chord tones) and matching them with another player or pre-recorded pitches. Then add M7ths and m7ths.

Using these as opposed to chromatic runs or parts from favorite songs would be a good place to start. For playing along with recordings try some 12 bar blues. Simple intervals and plenty of repetition in which to hear where you need to make minor adjustments. It's not as hard to play fretless pitches (vibrato and emotive technique is another matter!) as people generally think, just some initially slow speed practice and careful listening. Good luck.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Don't play anything on the B string.
  15. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Don't even think about playing anything. ;)
  17. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I respectfully disagree with this statement. I don't think there is a way to "automatically" have good intonation on a fretless. You have to use your ears; trying to get perfect intonation by mainly using your eyes will not work. IMO, it's fine to use your eyes for positioning, but a tiny movement of the end of your finger can make a note in or out of tune. I think it is very much a feel thing. I notice that when I stop playing my fretless for awhile and play fretted, my intonation is not as sharp.
    I think fretless is a different beast, with different requirements.