5 strings and fretless

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jappie, Oct 28, 2002.

1. i have bought a new fretless bass and he has also 5 strings and i want to know if some one hasgot some hints for me
  2. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    now now.. what KIND of hints do you want to know??

Right hand? Left Hand? Muting? Intonation?

3. my english is not verry good because i am from holland but i want to know someting aboud my left hand and that i can play clear and not fals
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Is this a lined fretless? or unlined.. Lined Fretless will help you alot.

Left Hand:

If you would like to play clear.. check your action and your neck and how the setup is on the bass.. the action can change the sound of your bass alot (especially on a fretless)

Make sure to play with a good intonation.. if you want to konw where to get the right now, try tuning your bass with a tuner.. Then try to play octaves on your bass

Example: open on the E string then around the 7th fret on the A String.. then you will get an E note, if it sounds in tune together, that means you hit the right spot.. try that with the other strings.. then start doing 3rds, 4ths, 5ths on each string

Example: Play the 7th fret area on the D(if you did the open A then 7th fret on the D, u will get the A Note), then do the 5th of that note (9th fret area on the G), which will be an E.

just let your fingers remember where they are (Muscle Memory, it will take awhile). if you are afraid that you might get lost. find the right notes then put a little sticker on there then practice with it (Beginner Violin players do the same thing)

Right Hand: On a 5 string, it might be a little different then 4 strings.. you have a B string in your way (or a high C).. The best way to handle a 5 string would be to play with a floating thumb.. where the thumb is always "Floating", which mutes that are above the strings you are playing.

Example: If you are playing a line using the D and G, place your thumb area slightly touching the B,E,A strings. This will take alot of work away from the left hand trying to mute all of the time..

Other than that, practice practice practice!!

5. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Hints...hmm...Trade it in for a 4-string fretted?