Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 strings bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AGF, Mar 14, 2005.

1. AGF

AGF Guest

Mar 10, 2005
    India
    Obviously there are 5 strings in 5 strings bass. But my question is that what are they??? In 6 strings acoustic guitar EBGDAE

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Usually B E A D G (basses are almost always tuned in 4ths). Sometimes they go with a high C instead to make it E A D G C, but the first config is much more common.

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    By default it's BEADG. However, one can get string sets tuned EADGC. Bass guitars are usually tuned in 4ths.

As for the other tunings, some people tune their basses to tunings different than standard tunings. I know in nu-metal, drop tunings (i.e. dropped D where the 5-string is lowADGCF) are popular, but that's the player's perogative.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    AGF, are you referring to teh EADG-B vs EADG-C thing? Tuning with a High B is almost unheard of- I've never met anyone who does it. I Tune my 5's to a High C. The only reason I can think of for tuning to EADGB would be that you are a guitarist that just can't let go of that blasted 3rd on the fifth string.

5. AGF

AGF Guest

Mar 10, 2005
    India
    No I'm not refering anything, but I just wanted to know that which is right and which is wrong?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    AGF, 5 string basses are generally tuned BEADG and EADGC. Those are the standard tunings depending whether you prefer to go higher or lower than a standard 4 string. As in all string instruments, there are variation in tunings.

Also note that his post clearly says i may be wrong though. . He is.

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Did you mean EADGBE?

8. AGF

AGF Guest

Mar 10, 2005
    India
    Yeah, absolutely right, it's like clockwise and anti clockwise.

9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Right you are. I thought you just got mixed up. My mistake :hyper:

10. AGF

AGF Guest

Mar 10, 2005
    India

No I did not get mixed up, thanx anyway...