5 strings with piezos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Archon113, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    All of the 5 strings I've played have sounded muddy and unclear on the B string, but I've been offered an Ibanez EDA905, which has a passive humbucker and an active piezo pickup. What I want to know is, will the extra mids/treble from the piezo stop the bass sounding muddy in the lower register? And does anyone have any clips of a 5 string with a piezo?
  2. Ive got the EDA, when i play with a pick i have the piezos nearly totally off, yet the B string is still pretty clear

my 6 string is a 35" scale, that makes a noticable difference in the B, gives it more punch and makes it more noticable

the EDA is a great bass, but if you are unsure of piezo's look into getting a 5 string with a 35" neck

another thing to take into account could be your amp, some amps and cabs dont handle the low B very well
  3. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've got a 5 string carvin fretless with the P-series electronics, which include a piezo bridge.

I've never given a lot of thought to exactly what the piezo does sonically (which is precisely your question, I know), but I find that the bass sounds much better if I mix the piezo with the magnetic pickups about 50/50.

The piezo by itself doesn't really do it for me unless I'm trying for a very muted, thumpy, upright/wastub kind of sound. Which is, hmmm, let me see...just about...never.
  4. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I have a MM SR 5 w/ piezo bridge pickup. Had a fretless neck when I bought it I had the piezo @ 60-70 percent in the mix. Put a Moses Graphite fretted neck on it now the piezo is @ 35-45 percent. It seemed to help the Muddy syndrom in both cases. But by all means go out and try some different basses next time you get a chance.
  5. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    My Bolin has piezos, and I think it sounds very clear and defined soloed or mixed. I have heard some hat sounded the way you are describing. I'll see if I can get a soundclip, I've ben meaning to do that anyway.
  6. I have a Rick Turner Electroline with 2 soap bars and a piezo. My favorite position is a 50/50 mix. There seems to be more clarity, roundness and depth to the tone. However, sometimes I like just the piezo by itself. It's kind of thumpy, but does not have as full a tonal spectrum that way. I wouldn't be without at least one bass with a piezo in the future. Hope that helps.
  7. I used to have an EDA 905. I loved the way it played but the B string was too muddy for me.
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just picked up a Rick Turner Electroline EL-535 (with soapbars and piezo's), and so far, I really like it. 50/50 mix sounds about best to me, too.

I know that jay_t has a Stambaugh with both magnetic and piezo pickups, too.