1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 strings with piezos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Archon113, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    All of the 5 strings I've played have sounded muddy and unclear on the B string, but I've been offered an Ibanez EDA905, which has a passive humbucker and an active piezo pickup. What I want to know is, will the extra mids/treble from the piezo stop the bass sounding muddy in the lower register? And does anyone have any clips of a 5 string with a piezo?

2. Ive got the EDA, when i play with a pick i have the piezos nearly totally off, yet the B string is still pretty clear

my 6 string is a 35" scale, that makes a noticable difference in the B, gives it more punch and makes it more noticable

the EDA is a great bass, but if you are unsure of piezo's look into getting a 5 string with a 35" neck

another thing to take into account could be your amp, some amps and cabs dont handle the low B very well

3. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've got a 5 string carvin fretless with the P-series electronics, which include a piezo bridge.

I've never given a lot of thought to exactly what the piezo does sonically (which is precisely your question, I know), but I find that the bass sounds much better if I mix the piezo with the magnetic pickups about 50/50.

The piezo by itself doesn't really do it for me unless I'm trying for a very muted, thumpy, upright/wastub kind of sound. Which is, hmmm, let me see...just about...never.

4. I have a MM SR 5 w/ piezo bridge pickup. Had a fretless neck when I bought it I had the piezo @ 60-70 percent in the mix. Put a Moses Graphite fretted neck on it now the piezo is @ 35-45 percent. It seemed to help the Muddy syndrom in both cases. But by all means go out and try some different basses next time you get a chance.

5. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    My Bolin has piezos, and I think it sounds very clear and defined soloed or mixed. I have heard some hat sounded the way you are describing. I'll see if I can get a soundclip, I've ben meaning to do that anyway.

6. I have a Rick Turner Electroline with 2 soap bars and a piezo. My favorite position is a 50/50 mix. There seems to be more clarity, roundness and depth to the tone. However, sometimes I like just the piezo by itself. It's kind of thumpy, but does not have as full a tonal spectrum that way. I wouldn't be without at least one bass with a piezo in the future. Hope that helps.

7. I used to have an EDA 905. I loved the way it played but the B string was too muddy for me.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just picked up a Rick Turner Electroline EL-535 (with soapbars and piezo's), and so far, I really like it. 50/50 mix sounds about best to me, too.

I know that jay_t has a Stambaugh with both magnetic and piezo pickups, too.

Tom.