Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fantomas, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Fantomas

Fantomas

Aug 24, 2004
    France
    I'm surching for a very good light and little 5 strings bass.
    Do you some have ideas ????
    :meh:

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    What price range? Also when you say little, do you mean smaller string spacing (thiner neck)?

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Reverend is a nice light 5 string semi hollow body with whompin' tone and awesome playability.
    www.reverenddirect.com

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    A Dean Edge Q5 is a lightweight, versatile, great sounding bass that most would consider "budget". They've upped the price on them, though as of late. They're really great instruments. I have a 6-er and it's great.

5. The lightest 5 string I've ever layed hands on was my Warwick (yes Warwick. They're not all heavy) streamer Standard. It soundsed pretty stinking good, too. They don't make them as actual warwicks anymore, but you can get them as RockBass versions with maple/rosewood necks. They have the carolena body, which is what made the Warwick version light. If you look an Ebay, you might be able to find a real one. If not, the Rockbass version is pretty cheap.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You mean "searching"?

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Cort Curbow- lightest thing out there.

8. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Because it's made out of a smelly plastic.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D
    So are those Ibanez ones-very light as well.

The lightest (actual wood) fiver I've played was an alder (or maybe ash) Hill Standard 5. Way too light, almost.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Peavey NTB grind bass 5 string. Neck thru body with case will cost you new about $390 online.

11. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The Elrick's are typically very light (around 7 lbs.) and still have a great sound. Not sure what part of the bass you want to be small. :meh:
    The knobs are small................ :D

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    What you got against smelly plastic? Remember, a lot of folks like 'em.;)

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They are indeed a very nice bass.

The MTD Kingston also weights but a pittance.

14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    ibanez soundgears, any model.

15. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I owned a 5 string fretted in light blue for a year. I wasn't my favorite bass but it was definately worth having. And the smelly plastic comment is because when I opened the case I could always smell the plastic body and it was quite repulsive to me. Nice basses though.

16. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The absolute BEST sounding LIGHTEST 5 string I've played is an MTD 535 (Korina body, wenge neck with maple board), I'm going to be the proud owner of it soon!

17. Fantomas

Fantomas

Aug 24, 2004
    France
    I am a girl so you can imagine that I want to have a bass with a little body like the Thum bass of Warwick. And so as a smaller string spacing to.....

18. Fantomas

Fantomas

Aug 24, 2004
    France
    And I am thinking about a fretless ?

19. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
    buy rockbass corvette freated or fretless i played both.
    for this price is one of the hotest deals around.
    lightweight with neck to die for.it have nice sound but if u turn treble to the end it have to much spank (freated).
    this is only cons on this bass.
    fretless have nice mvaaah when u playing and only cons is that it have no fret lines.this could be hard for beginers or maby not.
    if u can get BASS PLAYER august 2002 u have rewiev of rockbass in it.it got 4.5 out of 5 :bassist:

20. Fantomas

Fantomas

Aug 24, 2004
    France
    Thanks, I will try to find some informations on the net :hyper: