5 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vampyre, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Vampyre

Dec 9, 2004
    hello all As of right now i am badly in need of a new bass. I have been looking at many 5 strings and i have absolutely no idea what to get. This will be just my second bass so i dont exactly want to spend too, too much. I'm thinking around 700-900 max. I mostly play metal/rock but im also starting to show more interest in jazzy/blues type music. My friend recommended a "Warwick Rockbass". Since i dont know anythign about them can somone plz help me with this. Are they good basses? How much do they cost around? And which type of rockbass would be the best for what i like to play Or shoudl i scrap the idea and go for soemthing totally different? any help is greatly appreciated on this thx
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For rock and metal, I play a Traben Phoenix 5. Sounds great for metal and rock, but I've never tried playing blues with it, and its got too great for jazz.
  3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

For blues, nothing beats a Fender. P or J -- take your pick! I sorta like a P a bit better for blues, but have had good luck with both, and especially the J for rock.

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    So I finally found a Traben Phoenix 5 player! I know that there are some pretty classy and classic basses available out there. I try out many basses at music stores, and many feel awkward to me. I know I'm very used to my baby, a US-made Peavy Foundation, and it would certainly be a long time before I could honestly claim that "my cheap bass is holding me back" - it really does play beautifully, but I've gotta think about moving up one of these days.

Anyway: I've grabbed all sorts of stuff - including basses WAY over my price range - at the music stores; I can feel the quality in the higher-end basses, and they sound just superb in different ways...
    ...but the one bass that just grabbed me so far is that Phoenix! Also - like I said - most basses feel awkward to me compared to mine, but the Traben - even though it has TWO INCHES longer scale length! - felt great!

Did you notice the harmonics? I was amazed at the clear, musical-sounding harmonics. It seemed like I didn't even have to aim as carefully for harmonics - they'd just ring-out!

They're pretty radical looking and heavy, but when I play one, that bass tempts me like no other.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Yah, I include harmonics in some war or another in almost every origional my band does. The chrome felt a bit wierd, but its easy to get used to. The only other bass at about the same price thats comparable is the lower priced Lakland model.
  7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    ..Longer than the aforementioned Peavy Foundation 5 that I'm so used to playing. 35", as compared to 33".

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
  9. GnRDuff1

Oct 15, 2004
    Well, ya just found another one
    I love my ****in' phoenix