5 strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I see a lot of talk around lately about 5 strings tuned EADGC rather than BEADG. I am very interested in the high C rather than the low B, and I don't want a six string because the necks are too fat for me. Anyway, are there any 5'ers that come with the EADGC set up standard? If not, how did you guys change yours to this set up?
  2. It's not too difficult. I've done it & not had to adjust anything. You would likely want to install a new nut if you end up liking the tuning. Also, a very good/hungry salesman might swap out strings if it would make a sale.
  3. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I ordered my 5 setup and strung EADGC so it was easy for me :D :cool:

I believe a few forumites have also converted their basses to EADGC as well.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You would want new strings. :cool:
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you're planning on ordering a bass, many basses can be ordered with a high C, as opposed to a low B. However, if you're talking about a production line bass or a 5-string that you already have, you may have to have a new nut installed (or your existing nut modified), the neck might need some adjustment as might the intonation of the bass, and you may need to slightly adjust the string saddles. There was a thread on this very topic earlier this week I believe....might want to do a search on the subject to find more info.
  6. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    I was actually thinking of getting EADGC strings for my baas, but I never knew they had EADGC nuts. If they do, how much do they usually cost? Actaully, a better question would be, how one installs new nuts.
  7. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Yea, I was wondering where you find a proper nut for this modification? Also-niomosy-what kind of bass do you have that came with EADGC?
  8. jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    just go buy the C string instead of the low B, and re-string your guitar!!!! presto EADGC!!!
  9. Have been considering to buy a Lakland 55-01 and string it EADGC,
    seems like it is common wisdom that the 35" scale makes for a tighter B
    but how will this influence the other strings ?

Would it be better to go with a 34" 5 string if the plan is to string it up to EADGC anyway ?

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I don't know many basses that come with EADGC setup from the factory...

Maybe the Fender Studio, the first 5-string bass made - it had only 15 frets and a C to make fretting in the upper register easier...

As for any other... I've not heard ot any more, or I don't remember.

However, some make 5string sets EADGC. I know Warwick had one. IIRC, Ken Smith, Fodera and DR had sets, though I'm not absolutely sure.
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Longer scale affects the high strings a bit adversely: some say they choke them, they become thinner-sounding. I'm not sure that 1" would have a dramatical effect on them, but maybe it would be moticeable.
    Also, a 34" might be a bit more comfortable.
  12. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Fodera Imperial 5 :D

Had to wait 10 months for it but it's such a nice bass :bassist:

13. pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    im pretty sure the rickenbacker 4003/5 came with a high C...but its been discontinued, so maybe the 4004/5 series is the same? Cant say ive seen them about though...expensive to....

I dont get all you five stringers, nothing you can do on a five you cant do with a four...but im just a traditionalist
  14. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    You don't get those extra few notes :p