Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ghost_song, Nov 26, 2001.

1. ghost_song

ghost_song Guest

Nov 5, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Is there a 5 string bass with a high C instead of a low B? Justthought I'd ask

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm sure if you ordered a custom one you could get it that way, otherwise, it's one of those things you just have to do yourself. I am unaware of any bass that comes standard EADGC.

3. ghost_song

ghost_song Guest

Nov 5, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks, I remember I read somewhere that Fender made a bass way back when that had a high C string, so it was a 5 but it failed as a seller. It had been released before the low B was invented. Is that right?

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i'm pretty sure fodera makes a Vic Wooten Yin-Yang bass that's tuned high 5.... i know he tunes his like that.. so it would only seem reasonable that his sig instrument would too...

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

ghost_song, welcome to Talkbass.:)

Yes, Fender made an instrument called the Bass V in the late 60's-early 70's. It was tuned EADGC, bu had skinnier strings and a shorter scale than a regular bass. More akin to a tic tac style bass, like the Fender Bass VI, than a bass guitar. I think it only had 15 frets too.

You can restring a regular 5 string bass with the highest 5 strings of a 6 string set, but you may have to have a new nut cut, and may need a setup too.

6. you can have any 5 string setup to a high C
    i wen to the bass centre with want i wanted in my mind, and fiver high c, so i made this clear to the sales assistant, he said they would change the strings and re-setup the neck and bridge etc once i had chosen the bass...i then proceeded to try every 5iver in the shop (in my price range) and settled on the Bass Collection 335, its beautiful, i'll post pics soon.
    AND i got £100 knocked off cos my dad brought an accoustic guitar from the Accousit Centre (in the back)

soooooo, pick any 5 u want, and just ask them to re-string it, if they ask u to pay for the strings...laugh at them!

*Si*

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Wouldn't there be issues with...

- nut slotting? (putting narrower strings in wide slots?)
    - bridge slotting (same as above)
    - neck tension? (more pull from thinner strings)

I've never tried restringing my 5er to EADGC, but it would seem to me that these issues may have to be addressed. Could be that if the nut and bridge slots are appropriately radiused, they might not be an issue, but still worth looking at.

Peace,

James

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah. i was thinking about stringing my old 5vr up EADGC.... but i'm a bit reluctant to do it for some reason.. I think i would use that High C a good bit... but ... i .. i . i just don't know

9. the difference at the nut and on the saddles slots is minimal, almost non-exsistant......the guy in the shop adjusted the truss rod accordingly to accomindate the different string tension, and brought the saddles forward to sort the intonation....if u want it, it can all be done in a matter of 10 mins
    then again, the people at the bass centre are especially nice! :)

*Si*

10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I just restrung my 5 string with a high C. Then I retuned to DGCFBb. It gives me a bit of edge both ways.....and it took me all of about 15 min. with no problems at all.

11. Can you pop a c? I mean without it snapping and ripping your eye ball out:eek:

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I just strung mine up to EADGC, and the nut slot width was not an issue. There is no rattling of any kind, but that might not be the case for everybody. I had to do a quick neck adjustment, but that's about it.

And popping works great. Sounds better than the G string. :D

13. I have changed the tuning to a high C on a few of my basses that were originally low B.... no problems at all. Didn't even have to make adjustments.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. I love popping the C on my 6 stringers. Also works great for popping doublestops and chords.

15. ghost_song

ghost_song Guest

Nov 5, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks alot guys, I think whenever I decide to buy a more than four stringed bass, I'll consider what you guys said.

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Now there's a good reason to start using sunglasses on every gig! :cool:

17. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    If memory serves me right Steve Swallow who use to or still does play with Carla Bley had a Parker (??) that was strung EADGC.He's primarily a pick player that who I think started out as a upright player.

;)