1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 Tips That Would Make You Better...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by crios, Sep 12, 2018.

1. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    I think the lady in this video is on the money. What would you take out or add to her list of tips? Thanks.

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    You can't go wrong with this advice. Of course there are 'exceptions' to just about everything, but remember she is talking on a overall point of view and she's dead on. The exceptions will be a very small percentage of the time you have to make a choice, in other words there will need to be a reason to do something different.

3. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    I am guilty of playing open notes more than what I should so I appreciate her first tip to not do that so often. The rest is right on I think. Can any of you add-on to her tips? I love tips.

4. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I hate that video. It so full of clichees. There are too much exceptions. If every one would follow these rules there wouldn't be any progress in music and it would all be boring.

GreyMark, saabfender and joebar like this.
  5. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    Interesting POV.

Les Fret likes this.
  6. Bondobass

Bondobass

Mar 14, 2014
    Well if you don't even attempt to mute the note off after playing an open string...then no, don't play an open string.

Nashrakh likes this.
  7. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    A lot of bass lines use open strings. Jamerson, Jaco and so on. It all depends on how you use them. That goes for all of these 5 tips. That is why I don't like these kind of videos. Maybe they are useful for absolute beginners but even so they will only remember 'don't use open strings' and 'always use the root on the one' but that is not always the case in real world bass lines.

GreyMark, crios and Bondobass like this.
  8. DuckSoup

DuckSoup

Dec 20, 2017
    Colorado
    "Don't use open strings"

*Closes video*

/Does she know that you can mute open strings?

GreyMark, Nashrakh and Bondobass like this.
  9. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    ...and the other tips?

10. Nah... She probably doesn't know that...

11. This seems like solid enough advice for a novice player and more or less boils down to stay in control of the instrument and stay in control the groove.

saabfender, Jhengsman and Spin Doctor like this.
  12. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    Be careful what you say. She's Israeli and probably served in the IDF and will kick your a** if she ever finds you :).

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Thanks :). At work and can't watch this, but I'd have done the same as you.

14. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Yeh this popped up in my recommends lately also.

It’s trash.

She defends herself in the comments by saying the video is “intended for beginners” but if you watch any of her other videos she’s pretty squarely in the camp of “no money above the 5th fret.”

Pretty useless for anyone who’s interested in being anything but a root note pounder.

I break all of the rules she lists in this video almost constantly.

IamGroot and GreyMark like this.
  15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Fail.

Here's 5 things to make you a better bass player

1) Find a good teacher
    2) Practice every day
    3) Transcribe bass lines from GOOD players
    4) Play with people better than yourself
    5) Play appropriate to the style - i.e. don't go all 'Jack Bruce' in ZZ Top.

There, and I didn't try to waste 10 minutes of your time.

16. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Stick to the bottom....good advice.

17. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'd already seen the film. Think it should re-titled "5 Tips That Will Make You A Mediocre Bass Player."

gln1955, IamGroot, GreyMark and 2 others like this.
  18. I don't think beat is sacrificed for a fill.
    If the beat is lost is because the player is playing bad.

My only one tip is: imagine a perfect bass part for the piece of music you have in front of you. Try to play it.

19. I'm almost positive everyone who says this video fails doesn't have nearly the gigs either in number, or quality that she does...

So... Hmmm. Who you really gonna trust? Random B level (if that) Jamokes on the internet? Not even effin' hardly. If she says the lesson is for a certain audience, then it's for a certain audience. No need to try to make it more than that just to try to prove how smart you think you are.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    JRA likes this.
  20. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I trust the Jamokes because they do not mix up using open strings and muting correctly. Trying to sell me those as one and the same is misleading.

If done by someone with credentials, that would make me have to believe she misinforms the audience intentionally. Which is even worse, isn't it? If not, she treats her audience like a bunch of dumbbells. Great choices.

saabfender and GreyMark like this.