1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 Vehicles not for sale in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Other than #2 (the Ute) the rest look like every other $hitbox on the road today. Not having them here is no great loss, imo.

3. Says the guy whose avatar burns more gas than my Toyota. ;)

4. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    There's always a number of cool cars not available here in the US.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I like that Holden Ute. I would buy one.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    There are a bunch of car models in Japan and Europe that I would love to have here. Some of the hybrids they have in Japan are awesome. I also love the VW Eurovan that they discontinued here in the US, but continue to sell in Europe.

7. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

But there are also lots of US cars that we can't get over here in Europe.

And that's a very good thing. ;)

8. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Most marques believe that Americans won't buy a small, super-efficient diesel car (so successful in Europe). Which is probably mostly true. Drag, though.

Too many nice wagon-y/hatchback-y models are also deemed not a viable product for the New World.

9. California has/had a law against new diesel cars being sold there. One on the reasons you don't see too many high efficiency diesels from other countries being imported. Many states follow California's lead.

The Alfa-Romeo has been hard to get in the US for years. Even a moderate level Alfa, set up properly, can give a Porche a run for it's money.

10. I don't know bout any of those, but I some Tuk-Tuk's!
    tuk1.

11. Doesn't mater to me.
    Like everybody already mentioned there are plenty of cars that don't make it to America.

Some don't pass our emission standards, Some don't pass our safety standards. Most of them are smaller to get around in narrow streets in other countries. There is also the question "will it sell". Some are simply better and never make it to America. I think that's okay we have enough cars I cant afford.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Not a single thing on that list I would be interested in driving, but I'll admit there is a slew of awesome, funky little Japanese micro vans that I would absolutely LOVE to own.

That, or if Chevrolet had the balls to import (I effing hate that in this capacity) the cruze wagon in a 5 speed. But again, it's not even a Chevrolet, and it'd have to be imported. YEAH yeah, I know, same import thing can be said for the Ford Focus and many other cars....but at least that Focus is actually still a Ford, and is not just a rebadged Daewoo. Same thing with the Chevy Sonic, that's just a facelifted Daewoo / Aveo, because people hated the Aveo. Ironic that they like the Sonic, no?

I would drive this silly.
    ag360_clipperrio_frt.

13. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA

for some reason I seem to agree with you a lot, when the subject of automobiles comes up

14. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    The current generation of clean diesels are 50-state compliant. Sales of clean diesels are way up.

http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/articles/8440/us-clean-diesel-sales-booming

15. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    Right there with you. There was a rumor floating around that GM was going to import it as the new El Camino... Which I'd have gotten behind hardcore. sadly, turns out it was just that... a rumor.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Back in '06 they brought a Pontiac badged Ute on the road with them. I saw the Pontiac G8 Sport Truck on a turn table and get really excited.

I had to get rid of my 1987 GMC Caballero (El Camino) because it had 188,000 miles and I couldn't afford to maintain it like it needed. Needed some welding and some body work that I couldn't do.

If the Elkie came over here as a proper Chevy, I'd line up outside my dealership to get my hands on one.