Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5" vs 10" vs 15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Jul 29, 2003.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Is it safe to assume that general trend lends smaller drivers to being punchier than larger ones? Aka is a 5" necesarily always more punchy than a 10"?

What specifically attributes most to punchiness? Is it the BL value of a woofer? Something else?

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    As a rule of the thumb, yes. However, there are many exceptions to these rules. I've seen many fast 15"'s like Bag End's.

Just FYI, there are no 5" drivers, only 6".

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Cabs that are percieved to be punchy and fast usually have a design which keeps the group delay as low as possible. Usually you're looking for a speaker with a low QTS (which often also means a high BL).

I don't know that smaller speakers are necessarily punchier, though the certainly handle the mid frequencies better. Their percieved punchiness somes from their ability to cut through the mix.

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Theres' 5's now...PJB

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
  6. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Anyone try a Piranha cab yet? They look awesome and after reading the philosophy, sounds like a really good idea. Any place online that actually sells them?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the key to all your Phil Jones answers... ;)

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I wouldn't necessarily say that. I have heard some punchy 12's and 15's. Of course, everyone's definition of "punchy" may be different as well. Some of the 15's that have amazed me with their tight, full-range sound are the older Mesa Boogie's (particularly that 2x15!), Bag End, and a custom cab made by Low Down Sound.

On the flip side, there are some 10" equipped cabs out there that will go low as can be (ACME, Eden XST, etc.), putting most 15's and some 18's to shame.

My point being, is that no, you should not generally assume that smaller drivers are "punchier" than larger drivers. Sure, there are some physics related issues at to why high frequency drivers are smaller than low frequency ones, but since I don't know that end of it, I'll stay out of those waters. I just know what my ears have told me.

Take care, Tom.