1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5-way blade switch VS. 5 position rotary switch (techie question inside)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Jan 26, 2007.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok, here's the deal:

I'm thinking of starting a Warmoth project. I'm thinking of putting 3 Bartolini X44CBJD pickups in it, and I've a switching scheme I like. However, the wiring diagram I found uses a 5-way switch. Call me crazy, but I really don't like the look of this type of blade switch on a bass, so I'd rather go with a 5 position rotary knob.

Here's the wiring diagram:
    tech19.jpg

I'd like to use this rotary knob instead of the 5-way blade switch:
    [​IMG]

The rotary knob is a 5-way, 4-pole switch.

How could I achieve the same functionality shown in the above wiring diagram using this rotary knob? There are obviously more contacts on the knob, so it's got me confused.

Any techies out there want to draw up a diagram for me?

Thanks in advance.

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Oh.. wow thats gonna be #$^*in' sweet!

My brain is fried right now, but i can't wait to see the diagram! :D

3. i would think a blade switch would be easier for quick changes but carry on :)

4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ

No, you're right, but I just can't get into the look of the blade switch. Also, I don't see myself having to do quick changes during a song or anything.

I wanna be as minimalist as possible with the controls, so I'm imagining 1 volume knob, the 5-way rotary switch, and one small DPDT switch... no tone knob.

5. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    bump... anybody?

6. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    IMO that switching system seems a bit convoluted. The toggle switch simply adds the "rythym" pup to positions 4 and 5. It'd be analogous to simply have an on/off switch for the neck (or bridge) pup, so it can be switched on in any position.

Not sure how to wire that rotary switch without a schematic.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Are you basically wanting to be able to have each pickup individually or any combination?

Do you have the switch or can you provide a link so we can see what's what?

Is it out of the question to just use three volume controls? With one volume control and switches you lose the ability to enjoy those delighful non 100/100 blends...

8. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Actually, I'm sorta rethinking this...

One volume with an on/off switch for each pickup would suffice for the kinds of sounds I'm looking for. Three volumes is a bit much, especially if I want to kill the volume quickly.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    On your Ric or your Geddy, do you ever use both pickups at once? If so, are they both on full volume? If your answer is yes, they three switches would be fine...if you answer no, then you'll be unable to achive those tones on a bass with only on/off switches for the pickups.

If you have some "standard" non-balanced settings, we could come up with a schematic (kind of like the Fender Roscoe Beck) that would have a full-on position on the switch (for each pickup) and an adjustable nearly-full-on position (for each pickup).