Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

50 Cent....and metal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Feb 22, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    before I start I would like to say that im trying NOT to make this a hate thread. more of a "heres my opinion what do you think" thread

at school me and my friends constantly get insulted by other people about the fact that we like metal and rock. people are constantly saying that 50 cent rules and other rappers. I just cannot understand how a guy talking really fast on top of a programmed drum beat can be good. and usually they are talking about the same thing. also theres this whole franchise with 50cent (ie. film, games). and he actually shows off about the fact that he got shot.

Now their argument is this: well in metal and rock you cant hear anything because the guitars are all *insert random screaming type noise here. *and then the singing is all screaming.

but in my opinion id can understand metal perfectly. I mean taking judas priest for example. even if halford is gay and screams really high, almost all of the time you can hear what he is singing. likewise you can hear the clear defined guitar and bass melodies.

however taking a scremo song such as gunshot to the head of trepadation by trivium you can still hear the guitar melodies fine. its just that the screaming lyrics. but even with screaming there is still melody. and it has good, effective, musical call and respose with the guitars. and anyway heafy doesnt ALWAYS scream.

so does anyone else get insulted by other people because they like metal?

for the record,I dont Just like metal, I like funk, jazz and rock aswell. and probably most other styles

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's different perspectives. You clearly don't understand the appeal in 50cent, they do. They clearly don't understand the appeal in metal, you do. Nothing wrong with that. Them being dicks about it to you is just them being dicks and has nothing to do with their listening habits.

3. Yeah I agree, them saying that "metal sucks, and 50 is the shiznit" is really dick-ish. Honestly, I listen to both hip-hop and rap, as well as rock and metal. I mainly limit my rap intake to just a few artists, as most are too fake for me to see past the gimmick to their "music." However, I grew up on the grunge and alternative scene of the early 90's, and quickly faded to hip-hop, then straight to the "nu metal" movement of the late 90's, which is what I absolutely will always love and forever be infatuated with. I like both, and yet I tend to have strong opinions of both sides, both good and bad.

I really don't see why we can't all live in harmony. :rolleyes:

-ryan-

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My opinion is that music related threads belong in Miscellaneous.

Moved.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ahhh....this same argument raged on when I was 16, just different players. IIRC, it was bands like Def Leppard against rappers like Kool Moe Dee. The funny thing about it is that the musicians were all buddies, it was just the fans who hated each other.

-Mike

6. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    :eyebrow: What does this have to do with the way he sounds or the way the group sounds. Him being a homosexual really has nothing to do with the way he screams, or does it?

7. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    My wife gave me a hard time because I wanted brass ceiling fans. Does that count?

8. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

well...it probably doesnt but its just that its the first thing that comes to mind when I think about the screams. anyway gay or not they are still cool

whitedk57 :maybe your wife was right about not having metal fans, a spinning piece of metal hanging off your ceiling? doesnt sound that good :D
    I suppose that they would look cool though

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

METAL ! :bassist:

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I generally point and laugh at people who think musical taste is somehow objective.

I've been insulted for listening to metal, it doesn't matter. I like what I like and that's that.

11. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'ce always loved Preist...still do. I always had my suspicions of Rob...and when he came out...I thought, huh. Then turned up the volume.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    There are probably a ton of gay metal dudes... it doesn't matter.

The thing about Priest's 80s material, is a lot of the lyrics are very sexual and about S&M, and I'm sure tons of homophobic metalheads rocked stuff like "Love Bites."

Well, back to the matter at hand, metal isn't popular... because it's abrasive... it's in your face. People generally like "background music for parties." Most people don't "listen" to music as much as it surrounds them. These people don't like metal because you can't really ignore metal.

50 cent, and other pop rap acts are contentless jibberish. 50 is a terrible MC and a real rapper could rap circles around him. But that's not the purpose of his music, his music is to appeal to the party crowd.

So you're stupid, they're stupid... everybody is stupid because nobody gets anybody.

13. i get called a hippy for it. and im not even a hippy.

14. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Personally, I'm not much for either rap or metal. Sure, I can listen to some heavy stuff, but Underoath or Showbread or Blindside is as heavy as it gets for me. Any more than that and its noise to me...

Anyways, the better question is why should you care what someone thinks about what you listen to? If they like it, good for them. If not...good for them.

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    50 cent is a shoddy MC and and I found his debut not even half as great as everyone (even allmusic.com) claimed it to be.

As to the original topic, well yeah, dunno, I really don't care about those discussions anymore.

16. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    Lets all hail to the teachings of the mighty aerosmith and run dmc.

17. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

I love this!!!

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

:D

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't know YOU like Metal!!

;)

-Mark

20. Dude I used to be like you. I was ridiculed for liking Kiss, So in order to get chicks I became a closet Metal listener, I would go to school and be like Duran Duran Rules, Corey Hart Rocks, Stray Cats, Wham, Wang Chung, Hueuy Lewis. Then I realized I wasn't being true to myself. So I went backed to listening to what I loved and if I was ridiculed so be it. And like you I did not get rap either and I thought it was a passing fad.
    But what I have discovered is that it takes talent to rap. A voice is an instument just as much as a guitar or bass is. Try raping it's really hard to do. You will never change the stereo types, but don't be like those that put you down, embrace all music even if you don't get it respect the craft.